yr 11 subject selection (1 Viewer)

janani2556

HSC
So we've had the subject selection information evening and we have to submit out choices by next Tuesday (24/5/16).

I'm planning on doing something commerce related after school, like business or law. I'm thinking of doing these subjects:
English Advanced- 2u
Advanced Mathematics- 2u
Extension 1 Mathematics- 1u
Legal Studies- 2u
Economics- 2u
Business Studies- 2u
Society and Culture- 2u

13 units all together.

Not too sure if I should do both business studies and economics... some people say they're both really similar but I've asked around with some teachers and they've said it can help to do both.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I did both business studies and economics for HSC.

Content wise they don't overlap much so do not feel that you have to do economics if you do business studies or vice versa.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
I do all three commerce subjects, legal, business and economics. They're all completely different don't worry, i like them enough. Though I would say business sucks and if you wanna drop one of the three drop that lol.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Eco and Commerce did overlap to some certain extent, for example, the Business Cycle and the legal structure etc.

13 Units isn't bad, my school offered only 12 though, I wanted to do 14.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Yeah but the business cycle is barely discussed in business compared to the extent in econ

si2136

HSC
N/A
Please don't choose business studies, it is just utter boredom!!! All of my friends changed from business studies to something else within the first two weeks of year 11. Apparently, business studies is pretty dry in terms of content so yah, don't choose it unless you're desperate!!
But it's simple, just rote learning

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't mind business studies, and it is fairly easy to "learn" how to answer the questions.

janani2556

HSC
I did both business studies and economics for HSC.

Content wise they don't overlap much so do not feel that you have to do economics if you do business studies or vice versa.
Which one did you recommend out of the two? Like in terms of content and usefulness etc.

janani2556

HSC
I do all three commerce subjects, legal, business and economics. They're all completely different don't worry, i like them enough. Though I would say business sucks and if you wanna drop one of the three drop that lol.
Is it boring in terms of the content or the rote learning stuff?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Which one did you recommend out of the two? Like in terms of content and usefulness etc.
Content wise, business studies is definitely easier.

Economic has better scaling but I can't remember if it has better aligning then business studies.

Economics was my favourite subject, but business studies was either 2nd or 3rd.

Have a look at year 12 notes/textbooks

Also have a look at historical performance of previous cohorts in respective subjects and the teachers who will teaching the subjects. I suggest you do this for all your subjects.

As you are aiming for law?? youu should also maybe take scaling into consideration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)