applying for selective schools year 11??? help (1 Viewer)

bleu away

HSC
I am currently in year 10 and I would definitely prefer going to a selective school. For the past two years I've tried out, and got nothing but reserves ( for girraween, penrith and fort street ) This time, I would like to try out for:

North Sydney Girls

Sydney Girls

Fort Street

I chose these schools specifically because of location and subjects that i really want to take ( french continuers.) However, I am having doubts about applying since my grades are not good. In year 9 yearly I got mainly Bs, with an A in science/geo , but Cs in english and maths (very important subjects :( ) . However, my half yearly report I recieved a C in science, As in maths, english and french (not sure about other subjects yet.

Are these marks too bad to be competitive??? I do heapssss of extra curricular (volunteering, every club in school, src etc.) I was also going to rely on tests to increase chances ( + essay for fort street ) but I'm not exactly how sure to prepare for them and I've performed horribly in the HAST (test for girraween/hornsby/north sydney) last year but decently for reserve the year before.

Im basically just really hesitant. Do you think i have a chance ? is there anything that may increase my chance/ HOw can I prepare? any honest tips greatly appreciated

WildestDreams

HSC
First of all get it clear- Don't let your marks hinder your choice in applying. Just go for it! This time last year, I wasn't even thinking of applying...But then (on the second last day), i decided to just go for it. I honestly wasn't expecting to get in, but then again, you never know what may be coming for you in the future. Point: JUST GO FOR IT: - IF YOU REALLY WANT IT YOU'LL GET IT.

I think you're extracurriculars are fine, it shows you are an all rounded student. Also, you've done the HAST before, so you know what to expect. This year, your chance of getting in will be higher, as most schools accept around 20+ students. I've heard there is really no way to prepare for HAST, as it measures your natural intelligence. However, you may want to buy resources from the website.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I'd recommend you try out for girraween or penrith again

wenq

HSC
Honestly, I'd advise you think over this carefully.

There's more to a school than its ranking: consider how the school environment affects your overall emotional well-being - often a major contributing factor to how well you do exam-wise. With your marks currently, I'd say you'd be consistently near the very bottom of the cohort (given the 3 schools you've chosen), which is an incredibly demoralizing/demotivating place to be. Find a school where you can thrive in and go for it :)

bunnykun

HSC
OMGGG HIIII OPP
I feel like I've come full circle in a way HAHHA, I was in your position last year applying for another school too!
There's probably a few things you should take note though, some of them have already been mentioned by the BOSers above

- Your reports are important but considering its the yr 11 placement, the exams will have more weighting. If you're worried because of your reports, I wouldn't say it would hinder your chances by too much as long as you perform well in the exam. I would definitely encourage you to still try though, you having many extra-curriculars will give you an edge, provided that you do well in the placement exams.
- You have four choices to apply to another high school but you've only used up 3 of the spots. Have you considered Girraween or any other high schools? Just in case something goes wrong and on the day you don't perform as well as expected in the exams, I'm going to be honest here but the schools you listed are pretty competitive, and your reports are probably below the average of the reports that the schools receive from its applicants. I'd suggest using all four slots to maximise your chances.
- Like wenq said, SGHS/NSGHS/Fort are really highly ranked schools and you have to really consider if you will be able to handle dropping to the bottom of the cohort. Of course, that's not definite, but it could be an outcome considering your current reports. You would also be away from your friends and a familiar environment where you'd have to start from the beginning- making new friends, getting used to the school, the teachers, everything. Not to mention there'd be significantly higher expectations when you're surrounded by over-achievers and much more is required of you. On the other hand if you're able to handle the pressure it can definitely motivate you to try harder and push yourself. I feel like you should really consider the emotional factors of transferring because a lot of people don't give it enough thought in the application process. Especially since this is for your final years of high school, you really want to go in the HSC having a good support network and not being demoralised by the sudden drop in your grade/ranks/marks.

All in all give it some thought, and definitely try out. You could always reject the offer if you decide not to go. Good luck :)

bleu away

HSC
by no means do i think getting in is the be all/end all- rather I am contemplating whether I Should bother to apply or not. I think I would adjust fairly well to change as I did when I moved schools in year 9. The reason I'm not trying for Penrith/girraween again is that a strong subject of mine is French and I really want to continue that- which the schools I mentioned offer (if they end up running classes) should I not let this hinder me? I feel like I'd be better off in my top 50 private school with subjects I like rather than Penrith or girraween??? It's more should I go to the extra step to actually apply for fort/nsg/sghs? Unfortunately the amount of choices you can put down has been cut down to 3

WildestDreams

HSC
by no means do i think getting in is the be all/end all- rather I am contemplating whether I Should bother to apply or not. I think I would adjust fairly well to change as I did when I moved schools in year 9. The reason I'm not trying for Penrith/girraween again is that a strong subject of mine is French and I really want to continue that- which the schools I mentioned offer (if they end up running classes) should I not let this hinder me? I feel like I'd be better off in my top 50 private school with subjects I like rather than Penrith or girraween??? It's more should I go to the extra step to actually apply for fort/nsg/sghs? Unfortunately the amount of choices you can put down has been cut down to 3
Well, who's to say you still can't do French. I know people who go Girra who are doing French. It's through Open High School

Mach_1

HSC
OP,
jst give it a shot. y not yhe?
Dont be demoralised by previous test results. You can always push yourself further.
IMO, you should be paying greater attention to ur academics than ur extra curricular activities. Higher ranked selective schools tend to assume that academics are generally on par before considering extra curriculars to differentiate between applicants.

As for preparing for entrance exams, just make sure ur fundamentals are strong. There isnt much u can do to prepare besides that. Unless u want to take it a step further and attempt past papers and such from the schools ur applying to. Also, remember ur test scores are compared to the performance of average students at each respective school. If u know any friends who go to the schools ur applying for, try to get to know their standards etc..

As long as u do well in the test, i reckon u have a good chance. Schools are really impressed by a stellar extra curricular record. They want students who will make their school shine. I remember last year when i went for an interview to gain entrance into a selective high school, the principal asked me how I would contribute to the school. If u do happen to get an interview, ensure to bring up ur extra curricular record.

TL;DR: just do it nothing to lose. I honestly applied for my current school without any expectation of making it. But hey in the end it all worked out ^^; dont doubt urself before the application.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
OP,
jst give it a shot. y not yhe?
Dont be demoralised by previous test results. You can always push yourself further.
IMO, you should be paying greater attention to ur academics than ur extra curricular activities. Higher ranked selective schools tend to assume that academics are generally on par before considering extra curriculars to differentiate between applicants.

As for preparing for entrance exams, just make sure ur fundamentals are strong. There isnt much u can do to prepare besides that. Unless u want to take it a step further and attempt past papers and such from the schools ur applying to. Also, remember ur test scores are compared to the performance of average students at each respective school. If u know any friends who go to the schools ur applying for, try to get to know their standards etc..

As long as u do well in the test, i reckon u have a good chance. Schools are really impressed by a stellar extra curricular record. They want students who will make their school shine. I remember last year when i went for an interview to gain entrance into a selective high school, the principal asked me how I would contribute to the school. If u do happen to get an interview, ensure to bring up ur extra curricular record.

TL;DR: just do it nothing to lose. I honestly applied for my current school without any expectation of making it. But hey in the end it all worked out ^^; dont doubt urself before the application.
+1

Had a friend who go in fort street without any extracurriculars

bunnykun

HSC
Unfortunately the amount of choices you can put down has been cut down to 3
oh rip HAHAH I didn't realise, man that kinda sucks.
@ROT I'd suggest you update your guide since the amount of schools you're allowed to apply for has changed (part quoted below)
>"How many schools am I allowed to try out for?
You are allowed to write a list of a maximum of 4 schools! To maximise your chances of success, I'd advise you to use up all four choices/options!"

Nsg likes people that do languages, we have a really, really good french teacher there that everyone loves. I think last year they accepted like 24(?) new students into year 11, so you still have a pretty good chance!

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
oh rip HAHAH I didn't realise, man that kinda sucks.
@ROT I'd suggest you update your guide since the amount of schools you're allowed to apply for has changed (part quoted below)
>"How many schools am I allowed to try out for?
You are allowed to write a list of a maximum of 4 schools! To maximise your chances of success, I'd advise you to use up all four choices/options!"

Nsg likes people that do languages, we have a really, really good french teacher there that everyone loves. I think last year they accepted like 24(?) new students into year 11, so you still have a pretty good chance!
PM him

Mach_1

HSC
These marks are no way competitive
Well thats a clear cut way of putting it...
But if academics rnt exactly ur strength at least u have a pretty decent extra curricular record. But yes u shud try harder to improve them marks just a bit! ^^;

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Well thats a clear cut way of putting it...
But if academics rnt exactly ur strength at least u have a pretty decent extra curricular record. But yes u shud try harder to improve them marks just a bit! ^^;

Academics take priority obviously. Had a friend who got into Fort Street without any extracurriculars

Mach_1

HSC
Academics take priority obviously. Had a friend who got into Fort Street without any extracurriculars
Tryna encourage her lol.
But if u dont raise ur marks op u have to ace the entrance exam. But thats an unpredictable variable so ensure ur school marks and rank is on par with the standards of the school ur applying to op.
How many academc comp certificates do u have? Like HD for icas or amc? Raci chem quiz?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Tryna encourage her lol.
But if u dont raise ur marks op u have to ace the entrance exam. But thats an unpredictable variable so ensure ur school marks and rank is on par with the standards of the school ur applying to op.
How many academc comp certificates do u have? Like HD for icas or amc? Raci chem quiz?

lol I didn't do any of that but I didn't manage to get into the schools I attempted to get in (same with a few of my other friends and ppl I know)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)