Year 11 Selective Applications, Have I Messed Up? (1 Viewer)

MouseTop

HSC
Hey,

I'm trying out for Baulkham Hills to get into Year 11 in 2017, however I think I've messed up academically.
In Year 9 I got Dux...however Semester 1 Year 10 I've messed up pretty bad.
  • Science 1st
  • Commerce 10th
  • Maths Top 10
  • English Top 40 (Hopefully)
  • IST Top 5
  • History Top 10
  • PDHPE Top 10 (Hopefully)
We haven't got our ranks back for every subject, so that's why I've put 'Top...'.
I want to know if you think I can still make it into Baulkham Hills considering I was Dux last year.

Kolmias

HSC
How do you even know your ranks for Y10 subjects?

Also, what are your % for your subs?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Science - 100%
Commerce - 88%
Maths - ~92%
English - ~64% (Borderline B Grade)
IST - No Idea High 90s
History - ~90%
PDHPE - No Idea
Does your school put your marks AND ranks on your half-yearly/yearly reports, or just the marks?

Outside of your English estimated mark, the rest of your 'marks' look impressive enough.

Does Baulko have an entrance exam?

I think your English mark would probably be the biggest concern (for your year 10 half-yearly report).

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Does your school put your marks AND ranks on your half-yearly/yearly reports, or just the marks?

Outside of your English estimated mark, the rest of your 'marks' look impressive enough.

I think your English mark would probably be the biggest concern (for your year 10 half-yearly report).
iice baulko doesn't have an entrance exam

MouseTop

HSC
Yep, they put your Course Mark (mark), Rank, Grade (A-E) and Effort (5 to 1, 5 being the highest).

Nope, that's why I wanted to try out for Baulko.

Yep, got my English Rank back today and it's 53/208.

What rank is your current school?
203, however it used to have a good reputation and was Top 100 in 2014 I think.

Shuuya

HSC
Your marks look great! As long as you have extracurriculars as well, I think you have a good chance :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, they put your Course Mark (mark), Rank, Grade (A-E) and Effort (5 to 1, 5 being the highest).

Nope, that's why I wanted to try out for Baulko.

Yep, got my English Rank back today and it's 53/208.

203, however it used to have a good reputation and was Top 100 in 2014 I think.
Given your current English mark and rank (plus your current school), getting into Baulko will be a difficult task.

I wouldn't put all my eggs in 1 basket in your situation. Perhaps try for 1 or 2 more schools if possible.

Schools that have entrance exams tend to place less emphasis on your reports, which favours some and doesn't favour others.

MouseTop

HSC
Given your current English mark and rank (plus your current school), getting into Baulko will be a difficult task.

I wouldn't put all my eggs in 1 basket in your situation. Perhaps try for 1 or 2 more schools if possible.

Schools that have entrance exams tend to place less emphasis on your reports, which favours some and doesn't favour others.
Yea, I'm not too emotional about getting into selective, but I was pretty confident at the beginning of this year that I would make it into Baulko because they placed emphasis on reports. But, since my report for this semester is pretty disappointing I doubt I'll make it in. Just wanted to see what you would say about it.

Mach_1

HSC
I tried out for baulko last yr and got an interview offer.
Just for ur reference:
Maths rank 2
English rank 1 (pure luck)
Accelerated chem rank 9
Accelerated society and culture rank 20 lol
Commerce top 5
Visual design rank 3
Visual arts below average lol
Sport above average
What school do u go to?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

MouseTop

HSC
Your marks look great! As long as you have extracurriculars as well, I think you have a good chance :)
Yep, I've got little sport :( However, I've got plenty of Volunteering.
I tried out for baulko last yr and got an interview offer.
Just for ur reference:
Maths rank 2
English rank 1 (pure luck)
Accelerated chem rank 9
Accelerated society and culture rank 20 lol
Commerce top 5
Visual design rank 3
Visual arts below average lol
Sport above average
What school do u go to?

Last year I was Top 3 in every subject (Maths, Science, Commerce, IST, History, Geography) 5th in PDHPE and 6th in English. Were your marks Semester 1 or the previous year? Also, I go to Homebush Boys.

Mach_1

HSC
Yep, I've got little sport :( However, I've got plenty of Volunteering.

Last year I was Top 3 in every subject (Maths, Science, Commerce, IST, History, Geography) 5th in PDHPE and 6th in English. Were your marks Semester 1 or the previous year? Also, I go to Homebush Boys.
From sem 1. But yr 9 marks were rlly shoddy. Above average for all minus va and sport but otherwise shoddy af. I reckon u got a decent chance. Make sure to consolidate ur extra curricular record bro

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yea, I'm not too emotional about getting into selective, but I was pretty confident at the beginning of this year that I would make it into Baulko because they placed emphasis on reports. But, since my report for this semester is pretty disappointing I doubt I'll make it in. Just wanted to see what you would say about it.
Just saying but you should try out for schools which have an entrance exam (like fort street)

MouseTop

HSC
From sem 1. But yr 9 marks were rlly shoddy. Above average for all minus va and sport but otherwise shoddy af. I reckon u got a decent chance. Make sure to consolidate ur extra curricular record bro

Far out man, looks like I do have a chance after all :) My extracurriculars are:

• School Interact Club Since Year 8
  • ~80 Hours of Volunteering in Year 9
  • Few other Volunteering things here and there

Just saying but you should try out for schools which have an entrance exam (like fort street)
Yea, I did that last year (Girraween, North Sydney Boys, Normanhurst) but found out that I don't do well in tests (not because of pressure, just don't do well) so was hoping that my report would take me the whole way. I tried out for Fort Street in Year 8 and again realised that my essays aren't that good.

Mach_1

HSC
Far out man, looks like I do have a chance after all :) My extracurriculars are:

• School Interact Club Since Year 8
  • ~80 Hours of Volunteering in Year 9
  • Few other Volunteering things here and there

Yea, I did that last year (Girraween, North Sydney Boys, Normanhurst) but found out that I don't do well in tests (not because of pressure, just don't do well) so was hoping that my report would take me the whole way. I tried out for Fort Street in Year 8 and again realised that my essays aren't that good.
Dont try for normo bro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)