Selective School Application 2017 Year 11 (1 Viewer)

theflash_

HSC
So with around a month remaining till the applications can be sent im wondering if its worth applying for a selective school now. Im thinking about applying into
1. Penrith
2. Girraween
3. Baulko

currently i go to a non selective high school but ive nearly got an enrollment into a private girls (moving there with another friend from a non selective)
I'm not too concerned about the environment and friends at either of the 4 schools (3 selective and 1 private) since i have friends at all of them.
Girraween has a test but the others dont, and if i do it, it would be about my 8th time giving the test (given it 7 times and gotten through 2 times)
I'm not really the best at the HAST test, the reading comprehension gets me everytime but ive managed to always get top 1% for writing
For extra curriculas i havent done much only debating, idk if thats enough
My grades this year werent too bad and last years yearly was pretty good but to keep in mind, i didnt get into hornsby, nsg and fort street when i tried out last year

Is it worth trying for the selectives or nah??

Shazzaaa

HSC
Being in a selective environment can really motivate you for your senior years; so by all means try out. You could surprise yourself this year. :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Being in a selective environment can really motivate you for your senior years; so by all means try out. You could surprise yourself this year. :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Nah but some people do screw around with their learning. I know someone who graduated from a selective school last year who accelerated in 2U and 3U maths and in year 12 all he did was 4U maths, eng adv, physics and chemistry and half of his periods were all free periods. He spent all his time at school studying and literally none at home...I was like WTF stop wasting time and use it efficiently. I even laughed at his ATAR when I found out what it was, mainly because he had the advantage of acceleration but wasted a lot of time in year 12

Shazzaaa

HSC
Nah but some people do screw around with their learning. I know someone who graduated from a selective school last year who accelerated in 2U and 3U maths and in year 12 all he did was 4U maths, eng adv, physics and chemistry and half of his periods were all free periods. He spent all his time at school studying and literally none at home...I was like WTF stop wasting time and use it efficiently. I even laughed at his ATAR when I found out what it was, mainly because he had the advantage of acceleration but wasted a lot of time in year 12
Yeh. You still gotta work hard for that ATAR tho.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You need to have a think about what is the real reason why you want to get into a selective, if you feel like there is more cons than pros, than don't try, but if you think it is worth a try, then do it. No one can really advise you in replacement of yourself-ultimately it is a choice you have to make. From your description, you don't seem to really mind whether you get into a selective or not, I honestly think you are better off just going into the private girls school and do your best in focusing on maximising your ATAR in your subjects. Just my two cents-at the end of the day, it is up to you-all the best of luck with your senior studies:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)