Help selecting subjects!!! (1 Viewer)

timxv

HSC
My school has just released the lines for next year and they didn't really work out! At the moment I'm forced to do:

- English adv
- English ext 1
- Studies of religion 1
- legal studies
- Business studies
- Maths adv
- Drama

My problem is economics didn't run and I'm concerned I'm left with too many low scaling subjects. Should I switch legal with bio or chem? or Should I switch business with modern history? I need advice ASAP as these selections need to be confirmed soon!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Reminds one of the recent thread by georgia7100. A Christian/Catholic school? Must do SOR. But appears to have undue restrictions on choice of subjects. You have a choice of the mostly light-weight subjects.

Last edited:

timxv

HSC
I go to a performing art school. I have to do SOR to fill in an extra unit as i wish to study english ext 1. Do you beleive i should try and do economics distance ed or swap legal or business with something? I'm really concerned my subjects aren't going to scale as well as i'd like.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
In all honesty, you can do well with low scaling subjects but you're right if you do want to have some high-scaling subjects.

Legal to Chemistry would be a switch to a higher scaling subject but they are 2 totally different subjects and you should pick whatever interests you the most. Your english and maths marks should make up a big portion of your HSC ATAR anyway.

Although, if you wanted to read about subject selections a little more I wrote an article on this in my blog.

http://www.ssedu.com.au/theres-life-asian-5-advice-year-10-subject-selections/

chiefpasco

HSC
I'm finishing my HSC now. If I was you I would do Chemistry and Modern History. I did Chem in prelim but I never did much homework and the workload was pretty heavy especially because I was doing 12 other units. If I could go back I would have dropped Business instead of Chem.

Do your Adv Math and Adv English (these scale well), Modern History (one of the best scaling Humanities subject) and Chemistry (pre-cursor to Bio really.).

Having Adv Math, Adv English and Chem pretty much opens your options for any Uni course in Australia.

igotoschool

HSC
Firstly, I would completely disregard scaling. I was just having this conversation with my friends yesterday and many were saying they regret looking at scaling when choosing and would have rather chosen subjects they were more interested in/think they would do better it. It's much better to get over 90s in 'low scaling' than 60 in high scaling. But at the end of the day, it's about ranks, so aim to be the top in every subject.

Now, should you switch business with modern? I do Modern, and it is my favourite subject personally. I don't do business but if you think you'd like that stuff go for it. Modern, especially in HSC year involves politics to a degree and evaluating people and events (usually both sides of the story).
In my school, you could switch subjects around in the first few weeks, so don't fret too much

Legal with bio or chem? I do bio and did chem in yr 11 (dropped it now). If you're interested in Modern and writing essays, go for legal. I definitely regret not choosing it.
I personally find essay subjects easier as you are given 25 marks to discuss whatever you want (obviously not completely WHATEVER you want).
Chem is nothing like year 10 chem in science, and requires you to understand it. I enjoyed it but was behind and therefore struggled in year 11.
Bio requires being constantly on top of notes and thorough revision of past questions and content. Then again, all subjects do.

Essentially, go for what interests you over scaling and DO NOT fall behind! Year 11 and 12 can be great fun.....

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I go to a performing art school. I have to do SOR to fill in an extra unit as i wish to study english ext 1. Do you beleive i should try and do economics distance ed or swap legal or business with something? I'm really concerned my subjects aren't going to scale as well as i'd like.
Oh my gosh, which one?

ninjia

HSC
N/A
My school has just released the lines for next year and they didn't really work out! At the moment I'm forced to do:

- English adv
- English ext 1
- Studies of religion 1
- legal studies
- Business studies
- Maths adv
- Drama

My problem is economics didn't run and I'm concerned I'm left with too many low scaling subjects. Should I switch legal with bio or chem? or Should I switch business with modern history? I need advice ASAP as these selections need to be confirmed soon!
Firstly, WOAH...no economics, never heard of that one considering three quarters of my grade is doing eco
Secondly yeah swap business with modern as some parts of them are transferable and maybe consider a science as it is a different style of test

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)