Please help... subject selection (1 Viewer)

mkv_86

HSC
Subjects Im definately choosing:

Maths Ext 1: (Starting it in 2 weeks at tutor)
English Advanced: (Havent done much of it)
Chemistry: (Finished 2 topics, this includes The Chemical Earth and Metals)
Physics: (Finished 2 topics, this includes Moving About and Electrical Energy)
Biology: (Havent even started lol)

My school doesnt offer any 1 unit subject, so I have to pick 13 units, cuz Im not choosing 3U maths and 3U English
I still have 2 units left, that I am confused of, in terms of which one to pick...

I have a couple of other subjects in mind including:
Economics: I've heard it scales high, but I utterly hate commerce subjects. And it has freaking 4-5 modules! Is eco a lot of work?
Modern/Ancient History: I got awards for excellence in 2014, 2015 and 2016 in history and I love it, but Idk... Ancient or Modern? Which one is more interesting? I find both having some advantages and disadvantages?
Business Studies: I heard that it is "dirt easy" if cover all the topics early before the year of prelim (during the summer holidays). I kinda like business.. but the less I do it, the less I like it...

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
How early do you want to learn the courses lol, it starts next year

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Subjects Im definately choosing:

Maths Ext 1: (Starting it in 2 weeks at tutor)
English Advanced: (Havent done much of it)
Chemistry: (Finished 2 topics, this includes The Chemical Earth and Metals)
Physics: (Finished 2 topics, this includes Moving About and Electrical Energy)
Biology: (Havent even started lol)

My school doesnt offer any 1 unit subject, so I have to pick 13 units, cuz Im not choosing 3U maths and 3U English
I still have 2 units left, that I am confused of, in terms of which one to pick...

I have a couple of other subjects in mind including:
Economics: I've heard it scales high, but I utterly hate commerce subjects. And it has freaking 4-5 modules! Is eco a lot of work?
Modern/Ancient History: I got awards for excellence in 2014, 2015 and 2016 in history and I love it, but Idk... Ancient or Modern? Which one is more interesting? I find both having some advantages and disadvantages?
Business Studies: I heard that it is "dirt easy" if cover all the topics early before the year of prelim (during the summer holidays). I kinda like business.. but the less I do it, the less I like it...
Eco is boring af IMO, it's very theory dense and very boring. TBH if you hate humanities in general (like me) then stay away from eco. Yes it does scale high

Ancient/Modern, they seem quite boring as well. The ppl at my school who do ancient say ancient is so boring, especially the essay writing aspect of it

Business studies: I heard that it's very theory dense and boring as well

If you don't know what to do, then either do a language, engineering studies or PDHPE

mkv_86

HSC
Eco is boring af IMO, it's very theory dense and very boring. TBH if you hate humanities in general (like me) then stay away from eco. Yes it does scale high

Ancient/Modern, they seem quite boring as well. The ppl at my school who do ancient say ancient is so boring, especially the essay writing aspect of it

Business studies: I heard that it's very theory dense and boring as well

If you don't know what to do, then either do a language, engineering studies or PDHPE
I think it would be quite foolish to pick engineering cuz i am pursing a medical/medicine course, so I think a language might suit me. I was just curious, what subjects did you pick when you were in yr 10?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
The earlier the better. When they start in yr 10, they get a massive headstart compared to their peers
Seems like a better idea for year 12 content not year 11, because the ranks get reset and pretty much no huge content carries over anyway so putting in a lot of effort could make you less motivated for year 12. This is because you've been tired from studying for a whole year and still have one more to go, compared to relaxing in year 11 (trying new exam techniques and stuff) then putting effort in year 12

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I think it would be quite foolish to pick engineering cuz i am pursing a medical/medicine course, so I think a language might suit me. I was just curious, what subjects did you pick when you were in yr 10?
Picked literally the same thing as you besides bio. Instead I did legal (since the deputy didn't allow me to do 3 sciences and I wasn't that keen on bio tbh) and eco (thought it was interesting but the content was so boring)
Seems like a better idea for year 12 content not year 11, because the ranks get reset and pretty much no huge content carries over anyway so putting in a lot of effort could make you less motivated for year 12. This is because you've been tired from studying for a whole year and still have one more to go, compared to relaxing in year 11 (trying new exam techniques and stuff) then putting effort in year 12
Yeah true but the confidence in the prelim year is kinda important. You test new study techniques and learn from your bad habits

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Picked literally the same thing as you besides bio. Instead I did legal (since the deputy didn't allow me to do 3 sciences and I wasn't that keen on bio tbh) and eco (thought it was interesting but the content was so boring)

Yeah true but the confidence in the prelim year is kinda important. You test new study techniques and learn from your bad habits
Well for confidence maybe just try to study really hard for the yearlies to see your potential or something? Yeah and also techniques testing is good, tried memorising an essay for the yearly, better now than the HSC to stuff up lol

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Might as well go for ext 1 English I reckon, it will give you the practise in prelim to help you smash advanced. You need a really high atar to get into med.

IsabellaGuarin

HSC
Quite a few of my friends dropped from modern history to ancient history. Your essay writing skills have to be fairly strong and in terms of difficulty, it'll be more based on your personal interest and attitude towards the topics studied. Personally, i dont do either histories but i know that ancient focuses more on civilization which modern centralizes around war, communism etc. (based off what ive heard)

Business studies is known to be quite easy, but many students are easily bored with the content.

If you're going into the medical field, i highly advise that you pick pdhpe as the content learned may be needed for your future uni courses. The layout of the course is fairly simple, and it's not considered a hard subject. Its very easy to to average from 85-90 throughout the year if you constantly study.

mkv_86

HSC
Might as well go for ext 1 English I reckon, it will give you the practise in prelim to help you smash advanced. You need a really high atar to get into med.
Based on my current results for english, I tend to get 70-85% only :( My teacher says I need to work on my clarity on my essays and I suck at short stories (which I'm currently fixing right now cuz they are horrible). Is eng ext 1 A LOT of work? Do you think I'll handle it well? I'm planning to drop it in year 12 since it will help me smash advanced.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Based on my current results for english, I tend to get 70-85% only :( My teacher says I need to work on my clarity on my essays and I suck at short stories (which I'm currently fixing right now cuz they are horrible). Is eng ext 1 A LOT of work? Do you think I'll handle it well? I'm planning to drop it in year 12 since it will help me smash advanced.
For a 1U subject I heard it's a lot of work. You spend at least 2 hours in class for EE1 every week and you spend 2 extra hours a week researching and doing your own work (well that's what I heard). You need to integrate 2 prescribed texts and 2 related texts in an essay (well at least that's what I heard)

I don't do EE1 so IDK tbh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)