North Sydney Boys or Hurlstone? HELPPPPP (1 Viewer)

mkv_86

HSC
I made both North Sydney Boys and Hurlstone, and I was wondering which one I should go?

Hurlstone is super close to me, like 2 stations from my house. But the cohort is nothing as good as North Sydneys. North sydney is like 21 stations from my house (SUPER FAR, i have to go to the station at 7 and get there by 8-30ish). But I believe that travelling is good for the body, not only a bit of physical action but also refreshes mind (personal experience). I also have tonnes of friends in Hurlstone, but i dont know any1 in NSBHS. arghhhhhh Im confused HELP ME......

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Nice dilemma to have.

Obviously, you have to decide what is more important to you: geographical proximity or quality/status of school.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I made both North Sydney Boys and Hurlstone, and I was wondering which one I should go?

Hurlstone is super close to me, like 2 stations from my house. But the cohort is nothing as good as North Sydneys. North sydney is like 21 stations from my house (SUPER FAR, i have to go to the station at 7 and get there by 8-30ish). But I believe that travelling is good for the body, not only a bit of physical action but also refreshes mind (personal experience). I also have tonnes of friends in Hurlstone, but i dont know any1 in NSBHS. arghhhhhh Im confused HELP ME......
If you go North Sydney boys, you could study on the train and/or do homework (also ensure you have internet and a laptop at times if possible in order to help you complete school assignments when required)

At the end of the day, it's your choice

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Even though this is my own school I'm advocating against, I would take NSB over Hurlstone.

But then again it depends on how much you value social things...

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
But yeah NSB usually ranks in the top 5 wheras Hurlstone ranks in the 20s-30s

jennifernguyen

HSC
CONGRATULATIONS! If I were in your shoes, I would go to North Sydney. But that's your choice HAHA. When's your interview for Hurlstone? If you don't mind me asking HAHA

mkv_86

HSC
Even though this is my own school I'm advocating against, I would take NSB over Hurlstone.

But then again it depends on how much you value social things...
How good and bad is hurlstone anyway?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
How good and bad is hurlstone anyway?
Depends... certain faculties will twice remove your virginity (not literally... you know what I mean...)

But student-teacher relations and interactions seem pretty poor for the rest of the school compared to my cohort

Expect banter from Science, English and HSIE, MAYBE from Maths

mkv_86

HSC
I was also wondering... I currently go to a 143rd ranked school and my results were alright for half yearlies (3As 4Bs, mainly because I went overseas during Term 1). Now my results are pretty poor cuz I dont care about the rest of year 10 stuff Im too busy practicing prelims. Here is what ive picked for subject selection:
- 3U maths
- 2U eng
- physics
- biology
- chemistry
- modern history
Ive already covered half of the topics in physics and chemistry, finished 2U maths (everything including calculus), Im doing circle geo in 3U maths and planning to do a bit of biology and also cover history in the next few months. Am I gonna be sweet for NSBHS, or am I gonna fall down even with this amount of preparation?

dabatman

HSC
N/A

Go north sydney boys, I heard that the teaching is better their, cause duh its in the top 10 in NSW

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Go north sydney boys, I heard that the teaching is better their, cause duh its in the top 10 in NSW
School ranking is in no way indicative of the teaching quality.

I know the science HT at Paradoxica's school once said to a tuition student of mine (before she started with me) "If you don't have tuition by now, I can't help you."

A great deal of the high ranked schools rely on students receiving outside tuition.

Not to say that there are not some GREAT teachers at highly ranked schools. I have come across my fair share of great teachers from there also.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
School ranking is in no way indicative of the teaching quality.

I know the science HT at Paradoxica's school once said to a tuition student of mine (before she started with me) "If you don't have tuition by now, I can't help you."

A great deal of the high ranked schools rely on students receiving outside tuition.

Not to say that there are not some GREAT teachers at highly ranked schools. I have come across my fair share of great teachers from there also.
^Exactly

I know someone that went to FSHS and said a couple of teachers at his school was crap (science), especially maths (mainly because everyone received external tutoring)

IDK if this is true or not but I heard at Hurlstone for phys and chem, they start off with the acidic environment and motors and generators

True. This one teacher at my school who's son goes to a selective school told me that to be accepted to be a teacher at a selective school you need to be "highly experienced" and I suspect this was coming mainly from her son because I remember she telling me that at her son's school, they had "good" teachers there

Shazzaaa

HSC
In then end, pick the school that you think you'll thrive in. Both schools are good. You should also consider the time spent travelling because waking up early is going to be a pain lol.

Gl with your decision! :)

Last edited:

mkv_86

HSC
Alright, I reckon I'll go with North Sydney Boys, still cant believe how I didnt make Sydney Tech :(

bobmyself

HSC
I was also wondering... I currently go to a 143rd ranked school and my results were alright for half yearlies (3As 4Bs, mainly because I went overseas during Term 1). Now my results are pretty poor cuz I dont care about the rest of year 10 stuff Im too busy practicing prelims. Here is what ive picked for subject selection:
- 3U maths
- 2U eng
- physics
- biology
- chemistry
- modern history
Ive already covered half of the topics in physics and chemistry, finished 2U maths (everything including calculus), Im doing circle geo in 3U maths and planning to do a bit of biology and also cover history in the next few months. Am I gonna be sweet for NSBHS, or am I gonna fall down even with this amount of preparation?
You'll have morning classes with 13 units so be prepared for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)