Type or write study notes? (1 Viewer)

halpp

HSC
My yearly exams are coming up in around 6 weeks and I wanted to start in the holidays for my notes. I'm stuck between writing or typing my exam notes. I'm not the best at being organised however, I do remember things more when I write them. I want to get atleast 3 of my subjects done but I feel like I would need to type them. Here are my subjects:

Science
Visual Art
Japanese
Commerce
Maths
English
Science
History
Geography
PDHPE

ml125

HSC
I personally prefer to write out my own notes, rather than typing because I find it sticks in my head more easily. However, if you feel that you need to type up your notes, I'd suggest physically writing out a seperate, smaller set of notes with things that you have difficulty understanding or remembering.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I personally prefer to write out my own notes, rather than typing because I find it sticks in my head more easily. However, if you feel that you need to type up your notes, I'd suggest physically writing out a seperate, smaller set of notes with things that you have difficulty understanding or remembering.
^this

Also if you make errors in your notes (and you're handwriting them) then you're going to have a lot of trouble changing them

If you type your notes and make errors, you won't have a lot of trouble changing it

Dragon9000

HSC
N/A
Back in Year 9 and 10, I wrote out subjects that were core such as science, maths, english, history etc. and then typed out ones that had few notes or I could put low effort into it and still go well like PDHPE and Visual Arts

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Written means that you are more likely to better retention.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst there is a strong argument that writing notes provides greater retention of memory, but if the OP has a lot of notes to complete within a short amount of time, on top of potential practice questions that they need to complete as well, I highly recommend them to type out their notes if they are a fast typer-it would enable them to do questions and have complete summary of their knowledge at the same time with less stress. Although laptops have lesser retention type in terms of typing, but really, if you summarise the information GENUINELY IN YOUR OWN WORDS, your retention should be about the same rather than just copy and pasting what is written in the textbook. The most important thing is to PROCESS AND DECODE the information in your own way:)

MouseTop

HSC
To make sure you finish making notes I would suggest you type first. Then go over your notes - highlight what you find hard or think you need to spend more time on. If time permits, write everything you highlighted.

jkhoo

HSC
Some great advice here. My two cents: write down what you learn in class, since that consolidates your knowledge immediately (and concepts may involve diagrams which are easier to draw).

Depending on the subject, you may or may not need notes; for example, I always find that notes aren't necessary for English, just because of the exam requirements, whereas for Science I will need copious notes.

If you do need notes for your subject, I find that typing them up makes them look much better. Sounds silly, but it does help when you want to study and revise.

HOWEVER, above all this, DO PAST PAPERS! They're the most efficient and effective way to prepare.

Good luck :)

tazmim

HSC
I actually had separate methods but I strongly recommend handwriting, preferably using a battery taped or banded to your pen so you can write faster in the exams. Heavily recommend using: 99c artline 4colour pen, highlighters, maybe inkjoy pastel pens for titles and keywords as they are eyecatching

Yep, handwritten! Science also has a lot of diagrams I strongly recommend getting a separate notebook and write concise, straight to the point notes and a neat diagram drawn in pencil! You can go over pencil with coloured pen to colourcode. I recommend drawing than printing incase it comes up in exams, and these skills will be handy in senior years. Keywords are highlighted or have colourful pens standing out from the rest of the writing.
Visual Art
I didnt really study for those but I recommend studying analysing artworks. I also had no exams for Yr 10 so cant help.

I highly recommend handwriting, and follow my advice for science. also speaking tests are a thing, record your voice too.

most concepts were easy and i only read across highlighted things on my textbook, but i only did it in yr9 as i exchanged schools

Idk how to make notes with Maths but i recommend writing down formulas (idk how to write it on laptop lol) and practice, practice, practice. make easy/foundation questions mechanical!

Either works, i sometimes recorded my teacher, and went for external sources. I wrote down key concepts. I told my teacher what kind of essay questions may come up, he gave me some samples. practiced out my essays and memorised quotes, smashed the finals with 87% top 5 ranking out of 125 students

History
Geography
PDHPE
I typed all of these except history - which i barely studied for actually. I payed attention in class a lot in history though, i thoroughly enjoyed every second and walked out of the room with 80-90%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)