Is taking this subject too risky? (1 Viewer)

bleu away

HSC
So recently I got my yearly results back and I'm thoroughly disappointed with my mark in french (75.) After this, I'm thinking I should not do french continuers in year 11, but my results prior to this have all been great (85+) and I've been pretty set on doing the subject for ages. Also, I really do not like the sound of any other subject available to me since I despise humanities. I'm definitely taking:
3 Maths
3 English
Physics
Chemistry

What should I do?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Year 11 is not the end of the world, one mark shouldn't deter you to do a subject you like-you should assess why you got a bad mark and avoid it in the future though. Just try it out and if you don't like it-then you can always drop it for year 12.

tazmim

HSC
>despise humanities
are we the same person?? lol

you can always pull up once you hit Yr 11, try french for a week and drop it if u already have bad tastes from it
you've got a good subject selection, btw.
i heavily suggest concentrating on Maths Extension 1, Chemistry and Physics. If you do well in EXT1 you can kick ass in ordinary 2U at least 80% of it. economics is the most mathy humanity if the time must come so maybe an attempt for that too?

MrKay

HSC
>despise humanities
are we the same person?? lol

you can always pull up once you hit Yr 11, try french for a week and drop it if u already have bad tastes from it
you've got a good subject selection, btw.
i heavily suggest concentrating on Maths Extension 1, Chemistry and Physics. If you do well in EXT1 you can kick ass in ordinary 2U at least 80% of it. economics is the most mathy humanity if the time must come so maybe an attempt for that too?
Seeing as how OP hates all humanities, economics wouldn't be preferable because it only requires basic calculations that someone in yr 7 could probably do (not say that Econ is a bad or uninteresting course, just that at it's core it is a generic humanities subject).

Seeing as it is your prelim course, there is absolutely no risk in taking French Continuers because your prelim marks do not count towards your HSC whatsoever, and that you only need 10 units for the HSC. So my advice is just pick the subject for yr 11, see how you do with your overall marks and ranking, and if you are dissatisfied with your marks, you can always just drop it in Yr 12 with absolutely no drawbacks and hence have 10 units (unless of course, you're worried about getting a bad mark on any of your other subjects but that shouldn't be that big of a factor if you're committed enough).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)