Does your performance in Year 10 predict how well you will do in your HSC? (1 Viewer)

iamastar

HSC
That's what my teacher told us, and it's been ringing in my head ever since. I'm in Year 10. I have not given my studies too much attention at all. So if I'm not amazing in Year 10, does this mean I won't be amazing in Year 11 and 12?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
No, but you should start trying hard in year 11. However, I will say this, establishing good study attitude in year 10 doesn't hurt, I remember when I did the school certificate (it has been repealed several years now, but basically was like HSC but at end of year 10 to see how everyone went in core subjects-across the whole state, and I got all As and wind forward to year 12-I ended up getting a 99+ ATAR). So although it is not as important, it is advantageous/beneficial to start developing a strong work ethic as soon as possible.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Maths: kinda since there are some concepts which build up in yr 11 and 12
English: Depends on what your school does. TBH not really
Science: no way

The_Hero_Comes

HSC
To answer the question, I think that year 10 really does matter, your results show your attitude towards certain subjects/teachers and your attitude towards school in general. But, that doesn't mean what you got in year 10 is a direct translation to what you will get in the HSC, it just tells you where you need to improve, like maybe you need to dedicate more time to studying and less time for leisure. In all honesty, year 10 and 11 don't matter in terms of marks. Those will not get you your uni degree or job, HSC will. But those skills that you need to get high marks in the first place do not come out of thin air, you need to develop and practice your own study habits, and this is exactly what all those years of school have prepared you for. Take my advice and start studying and aiming for at least the 90's, especially since you're only 1 year away from starting HSC (assuming what's on your profile is true information) and develop the way that you know how to study.

How I gain motivation for studying,
AIM HIGH, EXPECT LOW.

Last edited:

sourmilk

HSC
FUCK NO.
ABSOLUTELY FUCK NO YEAR 10 DOES NOT REFLECT SENIOR YEAR AT ALL.

When you start Year 11, a word of warning that the people you never thought was competition will start getting tutors / trying hard, and soon overtake your ranks. Similarly, the people on the top from year 7-10 wither.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
FUCK NO.
ABSOLUTELY FUCK NO YEAR 10 DOES NOT REFLECT SENIOR YEAR AT ALL.

When you start Year 11, a word of warning that the people you never thought was competition will start getting tutors / trying hard, and soon overtake your ranks. Similarly, the people on the top from year 7-10 wither.
This. My biggest threat in english was a dude who spent his time playing pokemon in year 7-10 and hitting on chicks all day, and he eventually went on to come 1st.

Mikasa

HSC
It really doesn't mean anything. However, for me personally, it set a precedent for my work ethic in year 11/12. That's mostly because I developed the necessary study habits/skills needed for me to do well in the senior years. This meant that instead of spending much of year 11/12 trialling what worked/didn't work for me in year 11/12, I already knew what worked for me.

That being said, a lot of people who did shitall in year 10 also went on to do very well - so no, it is not a predictor of HSC performance at all. :)

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
That's what my teacher told us, and it's been ringing in my head ever since. I'm in Year 10. I have not given my studies too much attention at all. So if I'm not amazing in Year 10, does this mean I won't be amazing in Year 11 and 12?
No your performance in Year 10 does not predict how well you will do in your HSC. For your HSC you can select what courses interest you/ will help with your career goals and if mathematics is your weaker area you do not need to select it. Like with anything, one can improve over time with patience and motivation so do not take to heart what your teacher told you. I agree with stawberrye, Year 10 is a good time to put in place some foundations of study but it is certainly not a predictor of the HSC or even what pathway you will undertake in the future.

Orwell

HSC
I did better in Year 11 than Year 10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)