Moving up in English and down in Maths? (1 Viewer)

gallen88

HSC
Hi :wavey:
I'm a new user on the forum and have nearly completed Year 10. My cohort and I have completed our subject selection in Term 1 (a bit early??), but we are allowed to move out of our subjects now and for the first four weeks of next year. I've currently got an idea of what I want to do which is either Law, or Medicine (I'm cool with both fields because I like helping out others). I've selected Extension 1 Maths and Standard English. I'm also doing Chemistry - which is required. I love both subjects. Recently I've been offered a position to move up into Advanced English, due to my results when I asked the subject coordinator - she is okay with it. Looking at my results over the year I'm not sure if I should move up in English and move down in Maths.

Maths: I'm in the 5.3 class for Year 10 at the moment.
Task 1 - 81% B (didn't get my rank)
Task 2 - 94% A (came 5th/6th can't specifically remember)
Task 3 - 90% A (came 13th - 7 people got 95% in my grade which took up 7 ranks in my cohort)
Task 4 - 80% A (came 10th in the grade, the reason why I got an A for this task was because the test was really difficult and the grade average was 33% - which was the minimum for a C).
Overall rank - I'm in the top 10, that's all I know at the moment, people's ranks went down a bit due to the last assessment.

English: We don't have graded classes and we don't get ranks until Year 11 and Year 12.
Task 1 - 84% B
Task 2 - 100% A
Task 3 - 88% A
Task 4 - 93% A

I'm worried whether my marks for Maths aren't good enough for 3 unit next year, also if I do both Extension 1 Maths and Advanced English it will be too stressful. I complete my tasks, homework and study - I don't like the idea of leaving everything to the last minute. If anyone who has done either of those courses, could you explain your experience and what your recommendations are?

sarkar_as

HSC
i'm doing both ext 1 maths and advanced english now and i think ur marks are good enough to do the same.

just start off with ext 1 maths and advanced english because u can always drop down.

however if u start off with 2u maths and standard english, u can't move up to 3u maths and it's very hard to move up to advanced english.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hi :wavey:
I'm a new user on the forum and have nearly completed Year 10. My cohort and I have completed our subject selection in Term 1 (a bit early??), but we are allowed to move out of our subjects now and for the first four weeks of next year. I've currently got an idea of what I want to do which is either Law, or Medicine (I'm cool with both fields because I like helping out others). I've selected Extension 1 Maths and Standard English. I'm also doing Chemistry - which is required. I love both subjects. Recently I've been offered a position to move up into Advanced English, due to my results when I asked the subject coordinator - she is okay with it. Looking at my results over the year I'm not sure if I should move up in English and move down in Maths.

Maths: I'm in the 5.3 class for Year 10 at the moment.
Task 1 - 81% B (didn't get my rank)
Task 2 - 94% A (came 5th/6th can't specifically remember)
Task 3 - 90% A (came 13th - 7 people got 95% in my grade which took up 7 ranks in my cohort)
Task 4 - 80% A (came 10th in the grade, the reason why I got an A for this task was because the test was really difficult and the grade average was 33% - which was the minimum for a C).
Overall rank - I'm in the top 10, that's all I know at the moment, people's ranks went down a bit due to the last assessment.

English: We don't have graded classes and we don't get ranks until Year 11 and Year 12.
Task 1 - 84% B
Task 2 - 100% A
Task 3 - 88% A
Task 4 - 93% A

I'm worried whether my marks for Maths aren't good enough for 3 unit next year, also if I do both Extension 1 Maths and Advanced English it will be too stressful. I complete my tasks, homework and study - I don't like the idea of leaving everything to the last minute. If anyone who has done either of those courses, could you explain your experience and what your recommendations are?

Your 2U marks should be good enough for 3U maths it's mainly the same topics but harder, with some new topics.

English try to go to advanced since it aligns higher (not scales higher).

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you wish to do those either of those two courses, you generally need a very high atar like a 97+ And some places 99+. Although, you can still achieve this doing standard English, it is much easier achieving this with advanced English as you may not be aware but only around 150 people in the whole state got a band 6 mark in standard English. That is massive in terms of atar considering advanced is pretty similar to standard in terms of you still have to do the same amount of texts and essays. For 3 unit I think you should be fine in it, your marks so far are quite good for maths, and if it comes to the point that you are struggling in 3 unit you could always drop it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely move to Advanced English. It is similar difficulty but has a better alignment (proportion of people getting bands 5 or 6) then Standard English does.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Why do you feel that you have to move down in Maths?

si2136

HSC
N/A
I did 3U maths and Adv Eng. It's not that stressful, if you learn how to manage your time properly.

Just drop maths or english if you don't feel comfortable in doing so.

gallen88

HSC
Why do you feel that you have to move down in Maths?
I'm a bit of a perfectionist, sometimes I set standards which are pretty high and cause a bit of stress. Learning how to stop doing that for the future.

gallen88

HSC
If you wish to do those either of those two courses, you generally need a very high atar like a 97+ And some places 99+. Although, you can still achieve this doing standard English, it is much easier achieving this with advanced English as you may not be aware but only around 150 people in the whole state got a band 6 mark in standard English. That is massive in terms of atar considering advanced is pretty similar to standard in terms of you still have to do the same amount of texts and essays. For 3 unit I think you should be fine in it, your marks so far are quite good for maths, and if it comes to the point that you are struggling in 3 unit you could always drop it.
Thank you for the advice and additional information about the University courses, along with the statistics for Standard English. :) Woah 150 people out of over 31,000 got a band 6...

gallen88

HSC
@si2136, BLIT2014, pikachu975, sarkar_as (everyone I didn't do a quick reply to).
Thanks for the advice and sharing your experiences with the two courses. I appreciate it. It's helped me out a lot with my decisions. Better to start higher and if it's too hard, move down. Have a good Christmas break everyone. :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
As long as you are dedicated, you can craft your perfectionist tendencies to your advantage, at the end of the day, you should challenge yourself and embrace the possibilities, don't back off before you have even tried it. I did Extension One English and Extension One Maths and they are manageable-at the end of the day, self-discipline, persistence and passion will be the key ingredients to success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)