Hey Guys! Just have a few questions about the HSC (1 Viewer)

mlgrekt5

HSC
N/A
Hey guys!!! Just a few questions about year 11 and 12

I am a year 10 student fyi.

Firstly, is there a way that you can guess what type of atar I will get. I am currently an average english and maths but bottom in science at a school that consistently ranks 30-50. However, I am also good at pdhpe and human movement and one of the top commerce students and a decent engineering student. I have also done a lot of research about the HSC and have thought about the subjects I might choose at the end of this year. These are my picks:

English(advanced)
Economics
Business Studies
PDHPE
Legal Studies/Engineering Studies

And these are my grades:

English-B
Maths-B
History-B
Human Movement-B
PDHPE-A
Science-B
Commerce-A
Enginnering-B

I am just really curious to figure out based on my current results what type of atar I might get. I understand that it might not be possible to make a guess I just figured out I might as well. Cheers in advance:biggrin:

trecex1

HSC
Not entirely true

Just because Year 10 and 11 results don't count towards anything doesn't mean they have 'no relation.' They're a pretty good indicator of your study habits/organisation skills etc. that will matter in year 12.

You don't need to do really well in Year 10/11 to do well in Year 12, but that doesn't mean you should wait until year 12 before you start 'trying.'

gallen88

HSC
Hey, I'm in Year 11 and I remember being in your position last year.

Here are a few notes:

* Year 11 and 12 are completely different to Year 9 and 10. Usually people perceive the "smart kids" from Years 7 - 10 to be getting the 90+ ATARS or the students who choose "scaled" subjects, however in Year 11 it is a bit of a game changer.

* You've got a good range of subjects that reflect your strengths, some students don't do that which can result in stress. Students think by picking "scaled" subjects it will provide them with the top ATAR. This only works IF THEY DO WELL IN THOSE COURSES! No point doing a "scaled" subject if you're crap at it. The school dux of 2016 at my school didn't do any Maths or Science the perceived "mega scaling" courses. She did Advanced English, Modern and Ancient History, Legal Studies, History Extension and SORII. No one expected her to be the dux because of her subject selection, however she put a lot of handwork into her assessments throughout the HSC years, which was the key to her success. Choose the subjects that you enjoy for the HSC course, you will be motivated to do well in them, but do consider choosing some subjects if you are aiming to get into a particular uni course. Trust me! At the end of the day ANYONE can get an ATAR of 99.95 it depends on how hard you are willing to work for it.

* With your grades, I assume if you continue working hard you will be fine. Around the mid to high 80's for an ATAR? Do keep in mind for 90's you need to be getting Band 5s and 6s (Band 5 = 80-89. Band 6 = 90-100.). If you're striving for a very high ATAR that is above 95 you will need to get a few Band 5s and a substantial amount of Band 6s. Don't rely on my information though about ATARS and Bands, I'm not too sure because I'm only in Year 11, not Year 12. If you want, go onto the ATAR calculators and enter the MARKS you receive for those subjects which can give you an estimate. Go onto the Matrix ATAR Calculator or Talent 100. I prefer Matrix as it offers more diverse courses. Considering the fact the subjects you selected are the ones where you get your highest marks in, that will motivate you to continue achieving those grades which can contribute to you achieving a good/great ATAR overall by the end of Year 12.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

StudyMaster101

HSC
Yes, Year 9 & 10 have nothing to with Year 11 and 12, however your performance in your subjects in Year 9 & 10 can have implications for which subjects you are allowed to choose (this can vary). For example at my School to be able to do Legal Studies they say you must have a certain mark in english as the subject is heavily essay and long response based. I think your marks show that you are capable of achieving results in Year 11 and 12 if you can continue to develop your study patterns and routines. I suggest you consider your study habits and try to make suitable changes to improve them, you can implement techniques, such as the Pomodoro timer, which is useful for balancing subjects/work loads and ensuring that you are not overworking, and utilising things like whiteboards, (these are super handy, pick one up) calendars, desk organisers, just these little things make your approach to study much more efficient and enjoyable. Good Luck in Year 11 and 12. P.S I hate PDHPE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)