Should I pick 2U or 3U mathematics? (1 Viewer)

kector

HSC
Hello! I'm in year 10, and i have no idea whether I should choose 2U or 3U maths. I'm doing the 5.3 course but my marks are in the 70-75% range on average. I'm definitely doing Standard English so I'm wondering if i should put my effort 3U and if it would benefit me?

Career choices i'm considering chiropractor, software engineer, automotive repairs/spray painter, real estate broker, stock broker and still thinking. Btw I'm not sure if I should pick any science subjects that will benefit me for chiropractor. I don't like science. At all.

kawaiipotato

HSC
Hello! I'm in year 10, and i have no idea whether I should choose 2U or 3U maths. I'm doing the 5.3 course but my marks are in the 70-75% range on average. I'm definitely doing Standard English so I'm wondering if i should put my effort 3U and if it would benefit me?

Career choices i'm considering chiropractor, software engineer, automotive repairs/spray painter, real estate broker, stock broker and still thinking. Btw I'm not sure if I should pick any science subjects that will benefit me for chiropractor. I don't like science. At all.
Definitely 3U if one of your career choices is software engineering.
(You could also drop 3U anyway in case it doesn't work out)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Point is, understandably at this stage, you don't have any definite idea regarding what you are going to do after your HSC. I would choose subjects that would offer me the widest options. Supposing you decide next year you'd like to do Civil or Electrical Engineering: you'd then want to make sure you have at least 3U Maths and Physics; in this case Business Studies or History isn't going to help you here. So if there is any possibility you'd choose one with a requirement for Physics and at least 3U Maths, even if the uni does not spell them out as prerequisites, then you'd be greatly disadvantaged. Don't listen to those who comfort you with the idea of doing bridging courses for these. Do subjects you may need; not what you love. In general, if you are capable of 3U Maths, do it.

Note though: if say you cannot handle 3U Maths or Physics, then you should not choose such subjects.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)