4 HL's? (1 Viewer)

lmaoslastdancer

HSC
Dear all,

I am currently in year 10 and am experiencing difficulty finalising my subject choices.

Currently, my choices stand as follows:

HL ENGLISH

HL ECONOMICS

HL BIOLOGY

HL CHEMISTRY

SL MATHS

SL CHINESE

I plan to study medicine after I graduate, however, in Australia, HL chemistry and HL biology is not a requirement, as the other option apart from the IB, the HSC, does not include extension sciences.

In my most recent school report (last week), I received A's across the board for my 8 subjects: extension science, extension maths, history, Chinese, French, extension English, RaVE, PDHPE.

The IB coordinator at our school stated that it was wise to star off with 4 HL's, especially chemistry, as it is more intellectually satisfying and covers university topics. Moreover, he stated that if it became too hard, I could drop it down at the end of year 11 to SL. Seeing as the final exam counts for near 80% of the final grade, assessment in year 11 wouldn't count for much, therefore, I wouldn't have much to lose.

Despite these benefits, I am still hesitant as I could possibly waste time focusing on this HL in the first year, and then drop it down, meaning that precious time I could've spent on other subjects disappears.

I was just wondering if any of you had started with 4 HL's (especially chemistry) and how hard you found it to manage.

Moreover, if any of you have taken HL chemistry, could you please tell me how you've found it, and it's level of difficulty, and any tips on how to manage it.

Thanks a lot!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Although I haven't taken the IB myself, however given your quite commendable academic results of getting 8A's in all your subjects, I think all you need is a little bit more of self-confidence and a little less doubt that you can do the HL Chemistry and that you wouldn't need to drop down.

lmaoslastdancer

HSC
Thank you very much! I feel very confident moving forward now. Good luck in your future studies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)