Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By girlyoudontknow
  • 1 Post By myopic_owl22

Thread: Investigating Science Anyone?

HSC

Question Investigating Science Anyone?

Subject selection is coming up really soon (yeah, my school does things really late...), and I was wondering if I should be considering Investigating Science. I've read the syllabuses for Investigating, Physics, Biology and Chemistry and am currently under the assumption that all the societal implications of each old syllabus will be taken out, expanded and repackaged into the investigating science course.

I'm interested in the modelling, theories and cause & effect topics, but not so much with the history/ society stuff. I'm also a bit wary about the 60 hours of depth studies i'll have to do during year 11 and 12, which is double the amount other sciences require.

Since our grade will be the first to choose it, a lot of things are up in the air... is it worth the 'risk'? That is:
    i) Will studying it with another science help me with that science or vice versa?
    ii) Will I have enough resources (and what will be expected of me)?
    iii) Will it scale well (i.e. will intelligent kids do this subject)?

I love learning scientific content and applying them to real-world situations, so I'd really like to do 6 units of science - physics, chemistry and either bio or investigating depending on who else is doing/ considering it. So anyone's opinion on this will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

HSC

Re: Investigating Science Anyone?

hey, im in year 10 too... in terms of scaling i personally don't think it will scale very well. Since you asked if 'intelligent kids' will do the subject the smarties in my grade did not choose it, and the grade required to pick a course for my grade was a D whereas phys and chem were B in science,english and math so i don't think it'll be a really hard course. My friend who is just like you (really loves science) he's picked chem,bio and physics AND considering science extension - during our subject talks apparently by the end of the year they'll let us know if there will be a science extension course might wanna consider that
    myopic_owl22 likes this.

HSC

Thanks a bunch! I'll probably stick with biology then. I'll also certainly look into any extension science courses - thanks for letting me know about them!
    Best wishes for the next 2 years ahead...
    girlyoudontknow likes this.

HSC

So I had a subject selection info evening a few nights ago, and asked about extension science - turns out it's basically a re-branding of investigating science. It's a year 12 course where you pick a major (in one of the sciences) and look at the science behind the science (that is, proving theories and validating conjectures, etc) of that science.

My head teacher also said that investigating science < science extension. Basically, science extension is harder (because it's more specific) & will need more work than investigating science. It seems to be following the same template of the extension history syllabus - no new content, just understanding the inquiry process and analysing/ interpreting others (and your own) data.

With this new course in year 12 for 2019ers, the maximum science units you can do is 7.

Thought I would stick this info up on BOS for anyone who's interested in Investigating/ Extension Science. Hope it helps!

Thread Information