Physics or biology? (1 Viewer)

philyou

HSC
Hi all, I'm currently choosing my subjects for yr 11 and i cannot decide between physics and bio. I prefer biology as I found more interest in the subject but physic is more important in order for me to become veterinarian. Any advices?

Thanks

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Just wondering why is physics more related to being a veterinarian than biology? Also personally biology is more interesting because it applies to everyday life but just do whichever one interests you.

philyou

HSC
Just wondering why is physics more related to being a veterinarian than biology? Also personally biology is more interesting because it applies to everyday life but just do whichever one interests you.
The assumed knowledge for vet science is physics, chem and math. Biology is recommended.

Frostguard

HSC
Yeah from what the others are saying, take Biology. I think it's much more relevant to the profession of a veterinarian, you learn about classic anatomy and body systems of some organisms and organs. I think the new Physics will be much more mathematical based, losing some of the current social science and history based content in current Physics and I think being a vet would require more biological knowledge rather than mathematical knowledge

sciencemath

HSC
Bear in mind that Biology is a content dense subject which requires you to know everything and apply to the questions and has lots of memorisation (and it can be boring at times). So if you are good at memorising and applying these concepts go for biology. Physics on the other hand is math based and has much less memorisation than biology.
And i think i can agree with others that bio will be more relevant if you are doing veterinarian med than physics. In a case that you may need physics at uni, you can always do fundamentals. I would say look at the subjects which you will need to do in vet and see if they are in anyway related to physics.
At the end of the day, also consider which subjects interest you the most and could see yourself being motivated to study them because during HSC you need every bit of motivation to keep going and if you are doing subjects which you find boring or hard, you may want to give up or not do well at them.

philyou

HSC
Yeah from what the others are saying, take Biology. I think it's much more relevant to the profession of a veterinarian, you learn about classic anatomy and body systems of some organisms and organs. I think the new Physics will be much more mathematical based, losing some of the current social science and history based content in current Physics and I think being a vet would require more biological knowledge rather than mathematical knowledge
From what I heard from a veterinarian during work experience physics is a lot more relevant during uni than bio. However by common sense bio is more relevant as it's an job that involves working with animals. So I'm still not entirely sure which to choose :(

philyou

HSC
Bear in mind that Biology is a content dense subject which requires you to know everything and apply to the questions and has lots of memorisation (and it can be boring at times). So if you are good at memorising and applying these concepts go for biology. Physics on the other hand is math based and has much less memorisation than biology.
And i think i can agree with others that bio will be more relevant if you are doing veterinarian med than physics. In a case that you may need physics at uni, you can always do fundamentals. I would say look at the subjects which you will need to do in vet and see if they are in anyway related to physics.
At the end of the day, also consider which subjects interest you the most and could see yourself being motivated to study them because during HSC you need every bit of motivation to keep going and if you are doing subjects which you find boring or hard, you may want to give up or not do well at them.
Wonderful advice, cheers!

Frostguard

HSC
From what I heard from a veterinarian during work experience physics is a lot more relevant during uni than bio. However by common sense bio is more relevant as it's an job that involves working with animals. So I'm still not entirely sure which to choose :(
ah I see why you're really conflicted, if it's available, check the new 2018 Physics and Biology syllabuses/syllabi and see which seems more applicable to a veterinarian's job and maybe research some more and see what others say about working as an actual vet? If you do see content that's helpful, then decide on which Science to undertake and like sciencemath said, choose subjects you have interest in because your performance goes hand in hand with how much you like the subject

philyou

HSC
ah I see why you're really conflicted, if it's available, check the new 2018 Physics and Biology syllabuses/syllabi and see which seems more applicable to a veterinarian's job and maybe research some more and see what others say about working as an actual vet? If you do see content that's helpful, then decide on which Science to undertake and like sciencemath said, choose subjects you have interest in because your performance goes hand in hand with how much you like the subject
Cheers :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)