Thread: economics or business studies

HSC
    N/A

economics or business studies

would've selected economics and business studies but it causes timetable problems and I can't do both. Which subject is easier in terms of workload? I've been told that economics is more content heavy and scales higher but business studies gets more b6s at my school, more straight forward and easy marks?
    Last edited by gaslight; 14 Sep 2017 at 6:33 PM.

HSC

Re: economics or business studies

Quote Originally Posted by gaslight View Post
    Y11 subjects: mx1 (most likely, dropping in year 12), ex1 (most likely, dropping in year 12), mathematics, eng adv, bio, chem, economic or business studies?

I would've selected economics and business studies but it causes timetable problems and I can't do both. Which subject is easier in terms of workload? I've been told that economics is more content heavy and scales higher but business studies gets more b6s at my school, more straight forward and easy marks??
    1) business
    2)yeas it scales way better but only if you get 85 ish plus like all other subjects
    3) yeah its got way more content + analysis + actaully thinking involved
    4) yea business is easy and a chiller way to get a b6. I legit thought about dropping business at the start of the year cos of how boring it was tho. if you have a good teacher and a fun class, then you're set.

I literally did all your subjects i.e. x1, adv, bio, chem, eco, bus but dropped ext1 cos worst unit + too much stress cos im bad at timemanagement and retention.
    Dont drop 3u.
    one fo the biggest regrets.
    not even that bad if you know your shit and study
    HSC 2017
    English Advanced, Mathematics Advanced, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Business Studies
    Atar goal: 90+
    HSC goal: Band 6 all subjects boiii

HSC

Definitely should do business studies. Much much easier. Plus you don't have to rely on you teacher to do good in the subject. You can basically teach business yourself. I find the most benefitting thing of choosing business with me is that I can concentrate on sciences properly like Chemistry which requires a lot of study to do well in. Also business studies exams aren't very difficult and the best thing is that if your ever in a tight situation you can sensibly bs your answers and you still have a good chance of getting them right.

HSC
    N/A

I don't do business but I do economics, and don't regret it at all. I personally find the content really interesting and a lot more applicable than business-unless you want to run a business in the future (I heard the content is very similar to year 10 commerce) and less pure rote learning. Economics is more about understanding than pure memorisation, which is what business makes you do.
    At the end of the day, don't take this advice too seriously and have a look at the syllabus, pick which one interests you. Scaling doesn't help you if you do crap in a subject that you have no interest in.

If you find them equally interesting, and you think you are equally capable in both, pick economics because it is higher scaling.
    Also take into account that your school gets more b6s in business, which may be reflective of how much harder economics is and the teaching quality at your school.

Thread Information