Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

ThatOne

HSC
Don't really know too much about these forums, but I would like some advice on subject selection. The subjects I currently have in mind are:

English (3u I think)
Maths (3u as well probably)
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

I really would like to get into medicine in university. My grades are always As/high 90s (haven't received a B for a few year in any subject) and I have a strong passion for science. My strengths are pretty much everything (which is why I am very confused) but particularly Maths. Are these subjects good enough to get me a good mark in the ATAR to achieve medicine? If not, please give some suggestions as to which subject I should change. Some people have told me the workload with this subject choice is immense, is that true?
Thanks in advance! :D

Frostguard

HSC
Personally your subjects are fine enough, if you're able to get high 90s in 3U math, why not take 4U math as well? With someone as consistent and high achieving as you I'm sure you'll be able to get a desirable ATAR but you gotta do your UMAT as well, which I'm sure you can undertake. Your workload is immense indeed, doing triple science means consecutive assessments within a small time period, usually during assessment season as the Science faculty puts all the subjects into the same week for convenience, just be careful you don't drown in all content but seeing as you have a huge interest and strength in all things Science, you'll be able to do it!!! I'm not sure if you've heard the Asian 5, but it's typical that 99.95 ATAR graduate why study medicine seem to all choose the same 10 units, which is English Advanced, 4U Maths, Physics and Chemistry, just a little piece of advice, however I am NOT telling you you have to follow this subject combination to do Med, it's just a typical combo, good luck with your med dream!!

ThatOne

HSC
Personally your subjects are fine enough, if you're able to get high 90s in 3U math, why not take 4U math as well? With someone as consistent and high achieving as you I'm sure you'll be able to get a desirable ATAR but you gotta do your UMAT as well, which I'm sure you can undertake. Your workload is immense indeed, doing triple science means consecutive assessments within a small time period, usually during assessment season as the Science faculty puts all the subjects into the same week for convenience, just be careful you don't drown in all content but seeing as you have a huge interest and strength in all things Science, you'll be able to do it!!! I'm not sure if you've heard the Asian 5, but it's typical that 99.95 ATAR graduate why study medicine seem to all choose the same 10 units, which is English Advanced, 4U Maths, Physics and Chemistry, just a little piece of advice, however I am NOT telling you you have to follow this subject combination to do Med, it's just a typical combo, good luck with your med dream!!
You can take 4u maths in yr 11? Oh well, then it's probably that my school isn't offering it for Year 11s.
I'll probably end up doing the 'Asian 5' in Year 12 anyway :p
TYSM!

lazzzy

HSC
You can take 4u maths in yr 11? Oh well, then it's probably that my school isn't offering it for Year 11s.
TYSM!
I ended up doing your subjects (except 3U english) and I did NOT regret it for a second. Very rewarding amd easy to get a good atar with, as long as you study. Definitely pick up 4U maths if you get the chance - you will not regret it. It will help you with 3U and the scaling is insane. Good luck!
Workload is not that bad tbh - in my opinion.

Frostguard

HSC
TYSM!
REEEEEEE
I meant pick up 4U math in Y12, sorry if I confused LOL but yeah you're welcome :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)