Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: year 10 screwed for prelim subject selection

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    year 10 screwed for prelim subject selection

    uh ok i've got an issue with my units for year 11 in 2018
    so i've applied for open language high school and i've gotten accepted but i have to drop down to 13 units or less
    what i originally submitted was:
    eng ext1
    maths ext1
    bio
    art
    japanese cont.
    korean beginners

    this is 14 units, so i have to drop something.

    problem is, i'm planning to shoot for medicine and i'm already pushing it with doing bio instead of chem, but bio is the subject i'm worst at out of all of them.
    if i drop bio, that would bring me down to 12 units but i'd be at a disadvantage bc i wouldn't know shit if i got into the course
    obvs bridging courses are a thing for sure but med is already strenuous as it is....
    the other subject i was planning to drop was english ext purely due to me absolutely loathing english as a course right now... but my school marks are fairly solid and i was thinking of trying english ext2 in yr12...

    so do i do the subjects i'm best at and aim for the highest atar i can get? or do i drop bio and try get into med with 0 scientific knowledge.....?

    if anyone could provide any advice whatsoever that would be so useful, thank you!!!!

  2. #2
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,055
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: year 10 screwed for prelim subject selection

    Quote Originally Posted by xiugarbeat View Post
    uh ok i've got an issue with my units for year 11 in 2018
    so i've applied for open language high school and i've gotten accepted but i have to drop down to 13 units or less
    what i originally submitted was:
    eng ext1
    maths ext1
    bio
    art
    japanese cont.
    korean beginners

    this is 14 units, so i have to drop something.

    problem is, i'm planning to shoot for medicine and i'm already pushing it with doing bio instead of chem, but bio is the subject i'm worst at out of all of them.
    if i drop bio, that would bring me down to 12 units but i'd be at a disadvantage bc i wouldn't know shit if i got into the course
    obvs bridging courses are a thing for sure but med is already strenuous as it is....
    the other subject i was planning to drop was english ext purely due to me absolutely loathing english as a course right now... but my school marks are fairly solid and i was thinking of trying english ext2 in yr12...

    so do i do the subjects i'm best at and aim for the highest atar i can get? or do i drop bio and try get into med with 0 scientific knowledge.....?

    if anyone could provide any advice whatsoever that would be so useful, thank you!!!!
    Honestly drop what you're bad at because you aren't even getting into med if your ATAR is high enough in the first place if you do bad in some subjects....
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

    Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv (91) // Bio (96) // Phys (95) // 3U Maths (99) // 4U Maths (97) //
    ATAR: 99.75

  3. #3
    The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    9,470
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: year 10 screwed for prelim subject selection

    How does your school perform in each respective subject?

    Probably best for you to maximise your ATAR given that you are aiming for Medicine.
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace


    Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: year 10 screwed for prelim subject selection

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Honestly drop what you're bad at because you aren't even getting into med if your ATAR is high enough in the first place if you do bad in some subjects....
    hhh that's a good point... thx for that

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: year 10 screwed for prelim subject selection

    Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    How does your school perform in each respective subject?

    Probably best for you to maximise your ATAR given that you are aiming for Medicine.
    ugh mediocrely... i think the best ones are art or japanese haha our science dep is not great

    but yeah that sounds like a good idea, thanks

  6. #6
    Junior Member sabbabbby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: year 10 screwed for prelim subject selection

    The thing is you can be worried about not having scientific knowledge by dropping bio if you get into the course, but if you keep it (when you're not strong at it) there's a greater chance you won't even get into med in the first place, let alone not have the science background if you get in. Drop bio and continue with your strong subjects. You won't be at a disadvantage, you can put in the work then once you get in. You want the best chance possible to attain the highest atar possible to get into Med (as Pikachu & BLIT2014 said), not reduce your chances. Good luck tho, all the best for your senior years.
    Neuroscience sorta fella (Neurophysiology)

    2017’ HSC alumni

  7. #7
    Junior Member 30june2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    オーストラリア
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: year 10 screwed for prelim subject selection

    Quote Originally Posted by xiugarbeat View Post
    the other subject i was planning to drop was english ext purely due to me absolutely loathing english as a course right now... but my school marks are fairly solid and i was thinking of trying english ext2 in yr12...
    1. UMMMM IF I WERE YOU I'D DROP EXT ENG // NOT EVEN CONSIDER PICKING UP EXT2 ENGLISH IN YEAR 12 BUT XDDDD YOUR CHOICE idk as a former 4U english student, I just found myself working on english more than any other subject, which was definitely not worth it (considering that ext 1 english is only ONE unit.....and the sheer amount of research and perfecting/proofreading that goes into ext 2). That being said, it's an OK subject choice if you personally think that YOU are good at english, and that you think you can hopefully continue to aim high (also keep in mind that there is a decent jump between junior and senior english)
    2. Even if you drop bio you should be ok for med, there are heaps of people out there who are doing fine in med without having done bio in year 12
    3. Good luck for open high school!!!!! MAKE SURE YOU KEEP UP AND KEEP YOURSELF MOTIVATED (rip reasons i dropped jap beginners at OHS), take advantage of your phone lessons by asking heaps of questions and go to their meetup days to make study buddies, it will be vv worth it esp when you get closer to assessment tasks!!!


    UTS BIT co-operative scholarship program - 2018

    // solaredu.wordpress.com //

    #yolo
    correlation does not imply causation




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •