Thread: Math, possibility!!!

HSC
    N/A

Math, possibility!!!

A box contains 10 red candies, 8 yellow candies and 6 blue candies. Randomly take out 4 candies from the box. What is the possibility that 4 candies are of all three colours?

Rambling Spirit
    HSC
    N/A

Re: Math, possibility!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy358 View Post
    A box contains 10 red candies, 8 yellow candies and 6 blue candies. Randomly take out 4 candies from the box. What is the possibility that 4 candies are of all three colours?

HSC
    N/A

Can you please have a look at my working to see if it's correct or not? Thank you!
    https://imgur.com/a/y3ZiV

Rambling Spirit
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy358 View Post
    Can you please have a look at my working to see if it's correct or not? Thank you!
    https://imgur.com/a/y3ZiV
    This is not correct. You are counting things as though order matters for the total number of ways to pick four candies from the 24 in the box. But when you are counting the number of ways for each of the cases (e.g. RRYB), you have counted the ordering as though the reds must come first, then the yellow, then the blue. You didn't take into account cases where yellow came first, then blue, then the reds, etc. (which are still cases where we pick two reds, one yellow, and one blue, etc.). So you have undercounted the desirable outcomes, so your answer is less than the true answer.

It is easier to do this problem by just assuming always that the order is unimportant.
    Last edited by InteGrand; 19 Jan 2018 at 11:51 AM.

HSC
    N/A

sorry but i still don't understand, probably because English is not my first language. Can you please explain to me more detailedly? What do you mean "you have counted the ordering as though the reds must come first, then the yellow, then the blue. You didn't take into account cases where yellow came first, then blue, then the reds, etc. (which are still cases where we pick two reds, one yellow, and one blue, etc." Why does the way I did mean like that? What is the difference between my way and the correct way. Thanks a lot!

HSC
    Uni Grad

The order of RRYB is unimportant, meaning that I could pick out YBRR for example. Your working does not account for these rearrangements

HSC
    N/A

So can you please show me the right way to do? Thanks a lot!

Thread Information