Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BLIT2014

Thread: Stage 5 math

HSC
    N/A

Angry Stage 5 math

I was in the 5.1 math coarse in year 9 and 10. I all was get D's for this subject and i find it hard. I know its the"dumb"class" out of 5.2 and 5.3 am i at a disadvantage if i wanna be a programmer because i'm shit any analytical thinking ?
    Last edited by Lemming; 26 Apr 2018 at 4:10 AM.

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Stage 5 math

For HSC? For uni? You need to be more specific.
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

HSC
    Uni Grad

Some schools have subject/grade requirements for choosing year 11 subjects which may mean you can't join physics or mathematics.

I'd recommend that you learn 5.3 mathematics from now on (and get a tutor if you can afford it) and check with your school whether being in 5.1 impacts on your enrollment in future subjects.

You'd probably struggle with HSC mathematics (and would be best if you also did extension 1) if you only came in with 5.1 knowledge.
    KAIO7 likes this.
    I'm ready to embrace

HSC
    N/A

ok, about software design and development could i handle that ?

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    ok, about software design and development could i handle that ?
    I'd talk to a careers advisor/subject coordinator (if your school has one)? + Your teacher(s?) if you are doing a technology related subject currently.
    With all the information I've got I'd probably best better of estimating how long a piece of string is.
    I'm ready to embrace

HSC

At my school about 98% of 5.1 dropped out of school to do trades. Most of the 5.2 people does humanities subjects whist 5.3 does STEM subjects.
    Last edited by Cujo10; 23 Apr 2018 at 12:45 PM.
    Compressed HSC for year 11 & 12

1st year (11): | Physics | Software Design and Development | General Mathematics 2 |
    2nd year (12): | Standard English | Studies of Religion 1 | Work Studies | Industrial Technology - Electronics |

ATAR aim: 80+
    Degree aim: Associate Degree of Engineering (Electrical and Electronic)
    Dream company: | Intel | Nvidia | AMD | ARM |

HSC
    N/A

Angry Re: Stage 5 math

BUMP

HSC
    N/A

There is no such thing as being ''s**t at analytical thinking'', It's something you develop over time. If you have genuine interest in the subject as well as good work ethic, then there is no reason for you NOT to become a computer programmer. (A strong/solid background in computer programming and mathematics surely does make things easier in the long run)

Marks are NOT always an accurate measurement of one's analytical or mathematical ability, a lot of factors can contribute to the student's performance. For example, have you got your basics right? Do you put in enough effort, are you studying correctly and are you asking the right questions, are u being taught in a way that sparks your curiosity or is it just mainly rote learning?......that of course doesn't mean you shouldn't be aiming for higher grades, it just means marks are not necessarily the defining factor of one's abilities.

Having said that, I'd still take BLIT2014's advice, the more mathematics you learn, the more you'll be able to improve your logical and analytical skills. I'm not a programmer myself but I'm sure you can find even heaps of resources online that can build your foundations from now, in both mathematics and programming.

Do as much as maths as you can and make sure you enjoy the learning process, don't just do it because you have to, and if possible (and if you are interested), try to take mathematics ext1 (or higher) in year 12.

You might also want to sit with people that are in the field of programming, perhaps start by asking a teacher at school, and then try to get different opinions so you can have a better perspective on things.
    Last edited by KAIO7; 26 Apr 2018 at 5:19 AM.

HSC
    N/A

try to take mathematics ext1 (or higher) in year 12.
    I'm in 5.1 to do any higher level mathematics in 11 or 12 your need to be in 5.3 (top class) because of the contents you learn.
    With the flowchart that stats i'm better off doing no math because i'm getting low grades in the bottom class 5.1
    Attached Images Attached Images

HSC

I'm in 5.1 to do any higher level mathematics in 11 or 12 your need to be in 5.3 (top class) because of the contents you learn.
    With the flowchart that stats i'm better off doing no math because i'm getting low grades in the bottom class 5.1
    To get into a technical field like IT, you absolutely need to have competency in at least 2U maths; the more maths you know, the better. As an IT graduate, you're expected to solve complex tasks that require mastery over analytical thinking and mathematical reasoning.

Since you're getting lower marks in 5.1, your chances of getting into 2U maths is slim to none, and so it'll be very, very difficult for you to directly get into an IT course at a uni.

Instead, by the end of the HSC, if you're still driven to pursue a career in IT, I would recommend you to take out a TAFE qualification that will arm you with sufficient maths for an IT degree, then apply for entry into an IT degree. If this interests you, then you should take time from now until the end of your HSC to understand why you're struggling with the mathematical concepts, and dedicate yourself to learning foundational maths on your own steadily over this period, as it will definitely help you in the future.

Also, feel free to take HSC SDD/IST if you're permitted (and intersted), but just keep in mind that they're not reflective of what IT actually is at uni, and the real world.

Best of luck.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

HSC
    N/A

I see, what subjects are you planning to do in year 11 and 12 ? (with the exception of maths)
    and if I may ask, do you know the reason behind your 'not so well' performance ?

Added: Maybe Consider taking some courses after year 12 to help you close the gaps in your mathematical knowledge, perhaps consider taking a gap year to work on this, or as sida recommended, to undertake some sort of a TAFE degree thats IT/maths based and use that as a bridge to a uni degree in computer science/software engineering/...
    Last edited by KAIO7; 26 Apr 2018 at 6:26 PM.

HSC
    N/A

Angry Re: Stage 5 math

HSC subjects i'm planing to do:
    1. Standard English
    2. SDD
    3. IPT
    4. Standed math
    5. Physics (Even if i'm allowed to do this subject, could i handle it with being in the bottom math class and low grade in that class)
    6. Design and Technology

HSC

For SDD, if you are worried about your math ability, you will need to check what option you will do in yr 12, whether that be Programming paradigms or The Developers View Of The Hardware. TDVOTH requires a sound understanding of algebraic manipulation, when it comes to designing logic circuits and translating decimal numbers to hexadecimal and binary. Also another thing with the subjects, if you do a TVET subject, doing Information Digital Cert III, as one of your HSC subjects can be more beneficial than doing an unrelated subject. You get a certificate out of the course, it is an ATAR subject and its very likely you will not have internal assessment tasks for the subject (For some classes, there might be, but for my class with a HSC Judge as the teacher, we didnt).
    2016 - PRE (Information Digital Technology [IDT])

2017 - PRE (Maths Adv, Maths Ext 1, English Adv, Software Design and Development, PDHPE) HSC (Information Digital Technology [IDT])

2018 - HSC (Maths Adv, Maths Ext 1, English Adv, Software Design and Development, PDHPE)

Non-ATAR subjects (Sports Coaching Cert I, IDT Spec Studies [Cert III])

Loquacious One
    HSC
    N/A

There must be a reason why you are being assigned a 5.1 class. Not knowing you and your circumstances - it is hard to give a meaningful advice. To pursue programming/IT I believe you should at least have 3U Maths (although some like to point to successful exceptions with only 2U Maths.

If you are really determined and indeed want to pursue said field, I'd suggest you independently do 5.3 and later on show and convince your school you are up there. Whether or not you can do this is hard to say. But you need help: whether with the help of a relative or a friend who is strong in maths or get a tutor, if you can afford one (and a good one at that). Good thing is: this is just the beginning of Term 2, Yr 10 - so you still have time but not much.

Waiting to do a bridging maths course after your hsc is, in my view, not as good an idea.

I recall tutoring a 5.2 student in Term 4 of Yr 10. His school was flexible enough to give him a chance to do 2U, if he could show he was in the 5.3 level. Fortunately for him, he made it and did 2U and even Chemistry and Eco in his HSC. He told me that he has suddenly woken up, that he wanted to stop fooling around, and decided he did not want to do the dumber level maths.

Personally I don't know how one can be a good programmer without an analytical and logical mind; if you are good at maths you have an analytical and logical mind..
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

HSC
    N/A

In 5.1 i just got my second assessment task back today, but my mark was 13% and the weighting is 20% by look at this i'm probably not a mathematical person

HSC
    N/A

am i at a disadvantage if i wanna be a programmer because i'm shit any analytical thinking ?
    You definitely need maths for computer science/software engineering (thats what you mean by "programmer"?) considering that math ext1 is assumed knowledge at most universities offering these courses.
    HSC 2019
    Extension 1 Mathemathics - Standard English - Engineering Sudies - Economics - Business Studies
    ATAR Aim: 92+
    Desired Course: Computer Science at UNSW

Thread Information