Selective test (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm in yr 10 going to yr 11 next year and I want to try out for the selective test ..I've never done this but I want to make it into hurlstone. I know academic report, extra curriculum and admission test is based on whether u make it in.. my report isn't good but it isn't bad XD... I don't do any extra curriculums .. so I'm wondering what are my chances XD.. I'm confident bc I'm great at writing essaysand math tho (for the admission)... I also wanna know what topics are included in this exam and what topics are covered in math section XD... thankss.. Really grateful if someone answers me!!! T.T what should I study for????!!

nesco49

HSC
HAST is the Higher Ability Selection Test, basically to test how academically gifted you are. It's split into mathematics/science, writing, reading and comprehension, and general ability which is basically figuring out patterns. If it is HAST, the selection process is against the others taking it, not how well you've done. I took it last year for Girraween and I thought I did horrible, but I did end up getting in even when I was a reserve. Just gotta believe hard enough, and if it was meant to be then it'll be :D

RobertGreene

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Great job that you have been shared your topic with us. There are a assumption is that what is the accurate syllabus and appropriate logic of test way then you'l came to know that you recommended and what you prepared for your test thanks.

smg

HSC
hurlstone doesn't use hast, the school creates their own exams and in it is general ability, comprehension and mathematics. i haven't done the exam personally but apparently there is also an extended response about an agriculture topic as well? general ability is based on your own natural talent and you can revise this by doing selective practice papers online or an iq test. mathematics is based on your knowledge of the curriculum, so revise the maths which you learnt during this year and the later half of last year. i can't say much on comprehension because i haven't done the test personally and the new kids haven't told me much about that section.
the application and extra curriculars that you choose to submit are not as important as your performance in the exam. the school ranks every candidate who tried out for one year group and conduct an interview for people who are extremely likely to be offered a position aka the higher ranking applicants. they only conduct interviews for students if a spot is open for them (from what i know) in terms of spaces at hurlstone, vacancies are only open if a current student leaves the school. number of students in grade HAS to be 150.

Ashaaz

HSC
HAST is the Higher Ability Selection Test, basically to test how academically gifted you are. It's split into mathematics/science, writing, reading and comprehension, and general ability which is basically figuring out patterns. If it is HAST, the selection process is against the others taking it, not how well you've done. I took it last year for Girraween and I thought I did horrible, but I did end up getting in even when I was a reserve. Just gotta believe hard enough, and if it was meant to be then it'll be :D
Hi, How to prepare or enrol for HAST test. I am in year 9 and trying for selective year 10 in two week from now. Can I enrol to the exam directly or via school. Also how should I prepare for this exam. Any good book i can buy for practice.

TIA
AShaaz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)