Thread: Should I try out for selective?

HSC

Question Should I try out for selective?

So I am in year 10... and I am contemplating whether I should try out for selective or not. If I do, the schools I am trying out for are:
    Hurlstone, Caringbah and (idk what school yet) My grades are decent so I am relying on the test for Hurlstone.
    Questions
    Is the application test hard? What do I need to study for
    If I stay in my current school which is ranked 300 and something- will it affect my atar in year 12? (cz I am aiming for over 95)

HSC

Re: Should I try out for selective?

I think, if it is something you really want to do, go for it. Having said that, I'm not sure if my response is too late considering that many applications close before the end of July. For Caringbah, it ends on the 27th of July so you would only have one day left!
    The application test, as far as I understand, is challenging and focuses on a variety of areas that Naplan and ICAS cover. You should study maths relevant to your year, and at a 5.3 level, and should also look over creative writing, persuasive writing, scientific ideas and critical thinking. Good luck if you have decided to apply!
    (I don't think the ranking of your school affects your atar, only the marks you get and your internal ranking should matter)

HSC

Re: Should I try out for selective?

I think you should definitely try out for selective if you don't mind changing schools!
    Your ATAR will be affected by how your school performs so being in a school that is ranked higher will generally be more beneficial for you. It also brings in more competition and might push you towards a higher score

Thread Information