Thread: Subject Selection for Yr11

HSC

Subject Selection for Yr11

I'm in Yr 10 and hate science, and like commerce so I'm thinking I might do:
    Ext 1 Maths
    Ext 1 English
    Business
    Legal
    Eco

I'm not so sure though because most kids in my grade are doing at least one science, can anyone whos done these subjects tell me what to expect?

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Subject Selection for Yr11

Science isn't a necessity honestly, but it's usually good to pick one just so you have more options in year 12. But if you are enjoying commerce business, legal and eco are good choices, albiet with a heavy reading/writing workload and many many many essays.
    3U Eng | Chem | Bio | Physics | Adv Math | Modern History

99+ Atar Goal

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

be wary of doing economics because you liked commerce. legal studies and business studies are like commerce, but economics is a whole different beast altogether.

if you don't like science, don't do a science subject. please don't make this mistake.

consider other options your school may offer. eg studies of religion - in many ways, studying for SoR is similar to studying for commerce in <10. or perhaps modern history?
    explore other options!
    or if you really want to do economics, try to self-teach a topic of economics over summer holidays before you finalise your choice. you really can't go wrong if you do so - either you get a huge head start over peers, or you'll find you don't like it and can make a better choice.

HSC

i'm not doing any science at all and sometimes I do feel like i'm missing out on something, but seriously the workload is so much easier to handle
    the only 'smart' subject I do (asides from ext1eng) is ext1 maths, and it's my favourite subject at the moment def recommend

from what i hear from my grade's eco class, it's absolute workload hell
    it's seriously a lot different to yr10 commerce, but it sounds really interesting so I reckon give it a shot!!
    but bear in mind eco + ext1eng + business + legal = reading and writing hell, just hope that your lack of science gives you more time to manage that workload lol
    HSC 2019!!
    PRELIM SUBJECTS
    english ext 1
    maths ext 1
    japanese continuers
    korean beginners
    visual arts
    ATAR GOAL: 98+
    medicine/computer science hopeful :')

HSC

Hello!

First off, unless you genuinely like science, do not pick it. Indeed, it's good to have more options for post-school but if you're not willing to put in the effort or not interested, you will most likely struggle. I am doing one of the sciences and here's what to expect:
    - Practical assessments
    - Depth study (basically an assignment where you thoroughly investigate a topic from your syllabus. It includes a kind of oral presentation as well. Look up in any science syllabus for more information.)
    - More math in comparison to the old syllabus (at least in physics, I am unsure about chemistry and biology).

Don't choose a science subject purely because other students chose one. In my school, there are plenty of students who didn't choose a science but are performing very well regardless.

As for the subjects you are considering:

Ext 1 Maths : If I remember correctly, you will be the first year group to do the new syllabus for math (if you're in year 9/10 right now.) I could be wrong though. It can be difficult and overwhelming when you see it for the first time. I recommend you give it a try anyway as it's easier to drop down to 2U maths than moving up. In my school, a lot of us failed the first exam as it was overwhelming but many of us are improving! c: Again, if you find it unbearable, you are welcome to drop down but still give it a try! Make sure to do your homework as much as you can!

I don't do extension english so I can't really say much :x

Business studies : Ah yes, business. This one is rote learning and you need to be able to memorise your syllabus (same with other subjects anyway.) Expect to write business reports and essays. In year 12, I believe you will study a case study in your HSC additionally. Otherwise, I personally find this subject to be pretty straightforward, just be sure to memorise your content as there's quite a lot.

I don't do legal studies but I have been told it's a LOT of essays, so be prepared for that!

Economics : As stated above, economics is REALLY different and scales the highest of the social sciences I think. I don't think any year 9/10 subjects prepared me for it, not even commerce. But that's okay as everyone will be on the same boat when you start it! The content may seem difficult at times. Look at the syllabus (same with other subjects) and see if the topics interests you. Economics requires more critical thinking skills in comparision to business studies. This subjects also comes with essays as well, so if you decide to choose all the subjects you listed, prepare yourself for lots of workload and writing. Apart from heavy content and essay writing, you could be required to interpret information from data and statistics. Hopefully if you have a good teacher, you will pick up these skills by the time you're in year 12.

Overall, good choices if you like commerce! Though, considering that you chose both extensions and subjects with heavy content and writing, you will have to prepare for heavy workload for the next years. Again, look at the syllabuses for all those subjects and see if it interests you. At the beginning in year 11, you should be allowed to change subjects if your school allows it. If not, then you can drop it in year 12. You can also try asking teachers about these subjects.

Best of luck to you!

Cadet
    HSC

Warning: Just cause you were good at the related subject in Stage 5 doesn't mean you will be good in Stage 6.
    I was doing considerably well in Stage 5 Information Software & Technology, so I have selected Stage 6 Software Design & Development as one of my subjects.
    Result: Not great. Will drop it ASAP.
    Similar things may happen to you. And that is not great.
    Also, in most schools, there is a time when you can change your Stage 6 subjects, usually in the first 3 weeks of Year 11.
    My advice: If you start to hate a subject, drop it immediately! I didn't do so for SDD and I currently regret that.
    If you start to hate, say Business Studies, then drop it immediately and switch it for a different subject you may like.

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

What career paths are you thinking about in the future?

I also recommend you have a look at the number of band 6s (topscores.net) 5s etc (School Annual Reports may also have this data) and teacher quality can have a big influence on your marks too.
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

Thread Information