Thread: Subject Help please

HSC

Subject Help please

Okay so I have to put in my subjects for Year 11 next Monday, and I'm having some issues deciding, specifically on English and my last 2 units
    So my real question is if anyone has done the following subjects I'll mention, would recommend it and was it any good.
    The ones that I'm most likely going to pick;
    Maths Advanced + Ext 1
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Modern History

My options that I cant pick between for my last subject;
    Physics
    Society and Culture
    Food Tech

And for English it's whether or not to do Standard or Advanced.

HSC
    N/A

Re: Subject Help please

What ATAR are you aiming for ?

Do you like English ? Are you good at it? You can do advanced in year 11 and drop down to standard in year 12 if you didn’t like it

What sciences do you enjoy more and which ones are you going or want to do in yr12

If you know that you’re gonna drop physics in year 12 then don’t choose it, if you’re thinking of keeping it or want to try it then maybe it’s worth a shot
    Last edited by KAIO7; 29 Jun 2018 at 8:55 PM.
    Bsc (Advanced Mathematics)/(Neuroscience)/ TSP

HSC

Advanced English and Standard English are similar (from what I've heard). They both explore the same concepts, it's just that Advanced studies Shakespeare and Standard doesn't.
    Also, Advanced scales better than Standard.

If you find Advanced English hard, then you can always move down to Standard, but if you want to move up to Advanced from Standard, it'd be a lot more harder.

HSC

Personally try to pick Advanced over Standard, the content is similar its just Advanced has more analysis and in-depth work and the scaling is pretty good compared to Standard, as long as you do well. As for your three other subject questions-
    Physics- doing this will mean you're doing 3 sciences, which means you HAVE to genuinely love and enjoy Science or you're going to suffer, the scaling is decent, and it honestly depends how much you love the laws/principles of gravity, motion, electricity, etc, if you pick this be warned, you're going to have many assessments due within the same block, since the faculties always put the same of their assessments due in the same week (eg two weeks ago the science faculty put all 4 of their assesments due in the same week). It will pile up but it'll be ok if you love Science.
    Society and Culture- this subject will be a refresher from your Bio and Chem and might compliment Modern, if you don't mind doing a major work and youre well interested in society and how it works, then by all means go ahead and pick the subject, it will be content heavy but I don't think it'll be too hard and theres not many students so make sure you do your best in this subject.
    Food Tech- Again a refresher from Bio/Chem and even Modern because you learn about the processes of cooking and all that jazz (I hope you realise that Food Tech doesn't actually have any cooking and only Hospitality does which is kinda weird so I think those two would go together so tbh doing food tech on its own is kinda weird because you won't be able to apply your knowledge unless you're doing Hospo as well). But yeah if you do like the theory and concepts behind cooking, then sure go ahead and pick it, but be careful the scaling in both Food Tech and S&C isn't exactly high so you gotta make sure you do well in both if you do pick it though.
    Personally I'd pick Physics if you really loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee Science, if not, Society is pretty cool and may even help your essay writing in your Modern History and English! Good Luck buddy!
    I spend too much time on this website

HSC 2018!!

English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

Thread Information