Should I repeat year 12?t (1 Viewer)

WISHiKNEW2

HSC
Hey,

I'm not sure whether to put this in 2018 or 2019 discussion page, but here goes.

I have been pretty sick this year and missed a lot of school in hospital and stuff. When I've been at school, my performance hasn't been fantastic because I have been dealing with the other stuff.
I know I'm relatively capable and do enjoy school, but am really not doing as well as I would like.

I am prepared to work, it's just been hard this year. My goal ATAR was 95+, but I think I'm looking more at a 60+ish right now.

I know the syllabus is changing next year, which is my biggest concern. I'm assuming I wouldn't have to repeat year 11 as well, but I don't know for sure.
Socially I'm expecting it would be uncomfortable, so I'm considering, if I go ahead with repeating, changing schools.

I want the ATAR mainly for scholarship opportunities to the uni courses I am interested in, but also to prove to myself that I am capable of it.

Is it worth the whole year of repeating? I want to go through with exams in the upcoming weeks, but am considering coming back to do year 12 again from week 5 (after exams) or term 1 next year (having reviewed term 4 syllabus over the summer).

Is it worth it?

WISHiKNEW2

HSC
Ideally mechatronic, mechanical or aerospace/aeronautical engineering

cherryboi

HSC
Ok, Personally I wouldn't want to go through High School again. The 8:30-3pm routine again is extremely tough and I dont think you want to go through that again. Also if your looking at achieving an atar of 95+ then that means your most possibly looking at enrolling in UNSW or USYD. Im pretty sure if you want to score a scholarship then you will need 99+ atar. That may mean you will have to get mid band 6 in subjects you may not have a lot of interest in or be naturally good at.

Seriously I would forget about High School, its a tough place to go through again especially year 12. If you achieve an atar of 60+ then its possible you could get entry to Western Sydney or some other uni which offers this course which has a low cut-off. Otherwise there is TAFE which you can do for 1 year in engineering and then gain direct entry to UNSW or USYD (you will have to find the specific details about the TAFE program).

There is also The College- at western sydney in which you can do a diploma in engineering and then gain entry into undergraduate engineering. I have a friend who has a friend who got 55 atar and went into this. He did well and got an offer the next year to study civil engineering at UNSW. And he also got credits for some of the courses.

You can gain a scholarship in your first and second year at uni if you do well. But I really dont recommend you go through the year 12 experience again. TAFE or the Western Sydney college thing will be better cause you will be doing courses you actually have interest in unlike HSC. Still try applying for mechatronics engineering at Western Sydney Uni. And you may get an offer to do undergraduate there.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Ideally mechatronic, mechanical or aerospace/aeronautical engineering
Aerospace engineer here.

Normally, I'd never recommend repeating since it's just a waste of time. Back in my day, I heard of a story where one kid supposedly mucked around all year and got an UAI (ATAR) of 60, then decided that he'd repeat and actually buckle down, so he repeated and ended up with a UAI (ATAR) of 63. Not exactly sure if this is true, but yeh, a funny example nonetheless.

It also depends how confident you are of your ATAR estimate of 60. Most people have no idea how the ATAR is calculated, and they just blindly plug in their school assessment marks into the ATAR calculator and treat whatever it outputs as gospel. If this is you, then don't trust the mark that the magical ATAR blackbox spits out. In the end, it's a bit hard to calculate what you'd get without knowing in detail how you're school performs every year, and your ranks within your school. So just try your best and see what you get.

If you can get into your course straight up (even if it's not at your preferred uni), then I'd advise doing that since you can always transfer. You could also try and get into an engineering course that requires a lower ATAR (e.g. civil), and then transfer across to your desired stream. If you think you have the potential to get into your course through transferring, then that's probably your best bet. I definitely wouldn't recommend repeating just so you can "prove to yourself" that you're capable of a higher ATAR. Nobody cares about the HSC once you graduate - imagine repeating year 6 just so you can resit the selective test just so you can "prove yourself". If you looked back now, you'd think "holy crap that was a waste of time, nobody even cares". Likewise for repeating the HSC just so you can get a better ATAR - you'd look back in 1-2 years thinking the exact same thing. I would also not recommend repeating just so you can potentially land a scholarship, since getting one isn't even guaranteed in the first place.

TLDR; I wouldn't recommend repeating your HSC unless you couldn't get into any degree where you could transfer across.

pistachioman

HSC
N/A
First of all if you dont do well in HSC, you still can do well for the rest of your life.

Now, naturally losing interest happens when you don't do well normally. I mean you can drop 1 subject, so just drop the one which you hate the most. And just try your best in others.

Repeating is not really a good idea, dont waste your time especially for year 11.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)