Macquarie University or University of New South Wales for Science (1 Viewer)

twinklyten

HSC
I'm planning to do a bachelor of science with a major in mathematics and minor in either physics or chemistry. I plan to go higher than just a bachelors. I can't decide between MAC or UNSW. They both seem like great schools.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm planning to do a bachelor of science with a major in mathematics and minor in either physics or chemistry. I plan to go higher than just a bachelors. I can't decide between MAC or UNSW. They both seem like great schools.
Well UNSW topples MAC in overall rankings, and for math and science. Its gives you prestige, I would recommend anyone to take UNSW over MAC.
The atar cutoffs for MAC are much lower as well and so the people there on average wont be as good at the subject compared to UNSW.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Doesn't rly matter just pick whichever one u like more... but UNSW is better in that area

twinklyten

HSC
How much better though, because if it's only slightly better than I would prefer to choose the one that has more options i.e. early entry or ATAR admissions because of my neurosis.

sida1049

HSC
Both unis are decent for mathematics. USYD is good too, while we're at it. Some really important aspects to consider are whether you would prefer trimesters (UNSW) or semesters (USYD/Macquarie), and which uni is most convenient for you (e.g. geographically).

If you plan on going beyond bachelors, it might be too early, but it's worth thinking about what kind of maths you're interested in studying. I'm going to loosely assert that overall, UNSW is more attractive for applied mathematics while USYD is more attractive for pure mathematics. For example, measure theory (a topic in analysis) and Galois theory (a topic in abstract algebra) are offered by USYD as advanced third year units, while UNSW offers them as honours coursework only. USYD also offers some applied topics like control theory and integrable systems in their honours, which I'm not 100% sure if UNSW offers. Meanwhile, UNSW offers a third year cryptography course (which USYD maths is lacking in), and probably better courses on financial/actuarial maths and statistics. [Note: I'm probably biased in favour of USYD, given that I study there and I'm more familiar with the faculty.] With regards to Macquarie, I have no idea. Their site doesn't seem to offer as much information on their units, and I can't find any information regards honours coursework for mathematics.

Actually, now that I've looked up the maths faculties in the three unis, I'd recommend UNSW or USYD if you're going for honours/postgrad mathematics.

Last edited:

blyatman

HSC
N/A
USYD allows you to double major in math and physics (it's what I did, along with engineering). Not sure if the other universities let you do that, or if you can only do 1 major and 1 minor like you suggested.

You don't necessarily have to stick with the same university once you hit postgrad - you can always change. If you have a postgrad degree from a reputable institution, then nobody will care where you got your undergrad.

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
USYD allows you to double major in math and physics (it's what I did, along with engineering). Not sure if the other universities let you do that, or if you can only do 1 major and 1 minor like you suggested.

You don't necessarily have to stick with the same university once you hit postgrad - you can always change. If you have a postgrad degree from a reputable institution, then nobody will care where you got your undergrad.
The flexibility in B Sci is definitely fantastic. Combining maths with computer science is like bread and butter. (I *slightly* regret choosing stats instead of comp sci as my second major, but at least even so, I can still minor in IT)

Kolmias

HSC
Macquarie has a good reputation for actuarial studies and medical and health sciences however other then that, it's science and engineering faculties are pretty weak and new.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I also forgot to add, if you intend to do postgrad at UNSW (or wherever), then doing your undergrad there has the added benefit of knowing the lecturers/professors and building connections. E.g. When I applied to do postgrad at USYD, getting accepted was just a formality since I was going to be supervised by the same professors that I did my undergrad honours research with.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you have any idea which area of mathematics that you would like to focus on?

I would think that USYD would have better-structured mathematics degree then Macquarie? Any reason why you have narrowed down Macquarie and UNSW over USYD?

blackbird_14

HSC
Whilst I can't offer much information about Macquarie's Chemistry program, UNSW's 1st Year Undergraduate courses are run much more efficently than Sydney Uni - the labs in particular closely follow lecture content at UNSW, whilst Sydney is on a roster. For sciences, I would recommend going to UNSW over Macquarie, as mentioned above, Macquarie isn't really known for sciences at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)