Re-sitting a loud exam? (1 Viewer)

terushi

HSC
We had an exam today that we sat in terrible conditions. There was:

– music
– a loud, screaming teacher next door (SUPER thin walls)
– construction

That was happening for the majority of the exam today in less than a 3 metre radius. It was a practical exam as well, and the time allocated for the sorts of pracs was too short. That's not as bad, but the noise that was happening throughout the entire exam was absolutely terrible. And I mean R&B music so loud the lyrics were legible, as well as a teacher and class RIGHT next door who were yelling the whole time (what they were saying was so loud that it was legible too). I have never sat an exam in these conditions.

Is there anyway I can request for our class to resit this exam (or a new one)? Or would I even be able to request this? At least a third of the class was extremely annoyed and distracted by this and are willing to back me up as witness. Surely these conditions for a HSC exam CANNOT be okay? I'm seriously worried my ATAR is ruined over something I could not control.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
If you are able to get enough people to complain you could get the school to set a new exam, its not unheard of. Perhaps you could get the word of the exam supervisor as well to add some weight to your argument. Perhaps you could start a petition?

Don't worry your atar is not ruined

ahri

HSC
Definitely possible. A HSC chemistry exam was resat at my school for different reasons (a past paper with the same prac was given out by a tutoring center so half the grade had already seen it), but it's definitely worth a shot since we were able to do another prac.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely possible. A HSC chemistry exam was resat at my school for different reasons (a past paper with the same prac was given out by a tutoring center so half the grade had already seen it), but it's definitely worth a shot since we were able to do another prac.
Baulkham Hills high hahaha that was an iconic one

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
Realistically, probably not. If your teachers are shitty enough not to cared about the music, the construction work and some awful teacher screaming in the other room, they're probably going to apply the same mentality and not be bothered to write up a second exam for your entire class to do, then be present to examine your class and mark another exam.

I still think you should 100% try to get your class to agree on a second exam, but realistically, don't expect too much. Maybe pen a letter to the principal to make sure that this doesn't happen in the future.

terushi

HSC
Realistically, probably not. If your teachers are shitty enough not to cared about the music, the construction work and some awful teacher screaming in the other room, they're probably going to apply the same mentality and not be bothered to write up a second exam for your entire class to do, then be present to examine your class and mark another exam.

I still think you should 100% try to get your class to agree on a second exam, but realistically, don't expect too much. Maybe pen a letter to the principal to make sure that this doesn't happen in the future.
:( This seems about right. The exam was worth 25% of my internal mark, and because of the distractions I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a mark of less than 40%. Is there any way I can still get a band 6 if I can't resit? Do I just have to do very well in every other assessment/exam?

sida1049

HSC
:( This seems about right. The exam was worth 25% of my internal mark, and because of the distractions I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a mark of less than 40%. Is there any way I can still get a band 6 if I can't resit? Do I just have to do very well in every other assessment/exam?
Yeah, I think Band 6 is still possible. For example, if a significant portion of your cohort for that subject did badly because of the environment, and the capability of your class is pretty standard, then a significant portion (hopefully most) of the impact of that particular exam should be corrected during standardisation (i.e. when BOSTES uses their algorithm to compute your final HSC marks). Don't worry too much about this, and try your best for the remainder of your assessments. And definitely write something to the principal about the experiences of you and your peers'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)