Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ofwgkta

Thread: Should I drop Mathematics Extension 2?

Cadet
    HSC

Should I drop Mathematics Extension 2?

Hello, everyone

Today, I have received my results from Task 1 of Mathematics Extension 2, where I have performed poorly. My mark was 30/47, which is approximately 64%. I am most likely ranked 45th or below/51 people. However, I have basically destroyed everyone (including other Extension 2 students) in Mathematics Extension 1. What should I do?

Reasons to drop:
    Workload is heavy.
    I probably will not improve.
    Emotional stability of self is not great.
    If I drop, I might be able to state rank Mathematics Advanced/2-Unit.

Resons to keep:
    Godly side effect of taking Extension 2: Mathematics Extension 1 will be worth 2 Units instead of 1.
    If I persist with it, I will be able to drop Engineering Studies. No marks will be given back until Term 1 next year.

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Should I drop Mathematics Extension 2?

In our school, the Extension 2 students don't sit for the Advanced/2-Unit paper. however, if I drop Extension 2, my estimated mark for the first task of Advanced/2-Unit will be godly high.

HSC

No. Keep 4U- the scaling of 2U is horrible to be quite frank. Despite getting what I thought was a pretty decent mark it really didn't contribute to my ATAR how I thought it would. I now wish I had done 4U. Also, regardless of ability a state rank in 2U is down to luck- you can easily drop a small half mark and miss out. So if you are prepared to dig in and work hard to improve I advise you to keep it.
    Last edited by HoldingOn; 14 Dec 2018 at 3:56 PM.

HSC

If ur sure u can ace advanced and extension 1 then it would be a better option. 4 unit scaling won't be as nice if your rank isn't high enough. Continue with 4u if you enjoy it though, or if it will help for your uni course, or if you think it was an outlier and you can shove your way to the top ranks.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by HoldingOn View Post
    No. Keep 4U- the scaling of 2U horrible to be quite frank. Despite getting what I thought was a pretty decent mark it really didn't contribute to my ATAR how I thought it would. I now wish I had done 4U. If you feel comfortable and are capable I advise you to keep it
    Sorry off topic. I did 2U this year accelerated and am sitting the rest of my HSC this year. My mark was 99, would you recommend me to keep it and cash it in or do 4U. Do u knowwhat that atar contribution would be roughly. Thanks

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ofwgkta View Post
    Sorry off topic. I did 2U this year accelerated and am sitting the rest of my HSC this year. My mark was 99, would you recommend me to keep it and cash it in or do 4U. Do u knowwhat that atar contribution would be roughly. Thanks
    Depends how well you think you can do in 4U. Last year a 97 in 4U contributed roughly the same aggregate as a 99 in 2U to the ATAR. Also remember with 4U, 3U is able to be counted for 2 units which is very helpful, especially considering how straightforward it can be. Another alternative is for you to take 3U and just focus on getting 50/50 in the one unit.

HSC

Depends how well you think you can do in 4U. Last year a 97 in 4U contributed roughly the same aggregate as a 99 in 2U to the ATAR. Also remember with 4U, 3U is able to be counted for 2 units which is very helpful, especially considering how straightforward it can be. Another alternative is for you to take 3U and just focus on getting 50/50 in the one unit.
    I'm coming 9/32 in a strong cohort but I don't think I could do any better than that. 1st assessment I got 86%. What kind of raw mark would get u 97?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ofwgkta View Post
    I'm coming 9/32 in a strong cohort but I don't think I could do any better than that. 1st assessment I got 86%. What kind of raw mark would get u 97?
    It varies but here you are:

https://rawmarks.info/mathematics/ma...s-extension-2/

HSC

Thanks so much!
    HoldingOn likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    Hello, everyone

Today, I have received my results from Task 1 of Mathematics Extension 2, where I have performed poorly. My mark was 30/47, which is approximately 64%. I am most likely ranked 45th or below/51 people. However, I have basically destroyed everyone (including other Extension 2 students) in Mathematics Extension 1. What should I do?

Reasons to drop:
    Workload is heavy.
    I probably will not improve.
    Emotional stability of self is not great.
    If I drop, I might be able to state rank Mathematics Advanced/2-Unit.

Resons to keep:
    Godly side effect of taking Extension 2: Mathematics Extension 1 will be worth 2 Units instead of 1.
    If I persist with it, I will be able to drop Engineering Studies. No marks will be given back until Term 1 next year.
    Honestly, keep it until you have done another assessment - who knows, maybe you'll smash it!

If you don't however, and continue to do as well as you are now with 2U and MX1 - drop MX2 and continue focusing on 2U and MX1.

Also, if your emotional stability isn't great - just remember to calm down - you've got 3 more assessments to do internally to bounce back before the actual HSC, everything will be okay.
    Last edited by Heresy; 14 Dec 2018 at 5:01 PM.
    HSC 2019:
    Business Studies l Legal Studies l Economics l MX1 l MX2 l Adv. English

ATAR GOAL: 99

Thread Information