Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Jane
  • 1 Post By sida1049

Thread: Keep or Drop MX1

HSC

Keep or Drop MX1

Hey guys, so I'll get straight to the point.

I failed assessment 1 of MX1 (Newtons Method, Binomial Theorem, Curve Sketching, Circle Geo) (44%) and it was worth 20%.

Ranking-wise I'm 2/4.

ATAR wise I've played around with a few ATAR calculators and 3u does not make a drastic difference to my ATAR, unless I do really bad in my other subjects.

I am aware that constant practice and past papers can give me a very good mark and that ext scales very very good. But is it worth putting so much effort in just 1 unit or focusing on getting mid 90s in 2u maths.

The main problem here is that I do not exactly have much of an interest in doing 3u maths Besides the fact that it scales. I have trouble doing any maths exam regardless of difficulty, due to my consistent yet disappointing nature of making excessive careless mistakes.

Understanding the concepts is not a problem for me, but if I walk into an exam, I already know I'll be making careless mistakes. I can probably blame this on a lack of practice (I've never really done any practice under exam conditions).

Mainly for Ext, I don't seem to understand the harder questions (lack of practice I believe) and I am pretty rusty on my prelim topics (mainly parametrics and trigonometry).

I also don't really plan on doing anything involving too much maths related in uni.

I've tried tutoring, private and centre-based. Nothing works for me really. I simply don't know how to get rid of my careless mistakes.

People think I'm shit at maths, or I haven't studied well but the internal assessments don't really have any past papers.
    Last edited by neverknow; 15 Dec 2018 at 1:26 AM.

HSC

Re: Keep or Drop MX1

You will need to invest a lot of hard work and time in increasing your marks and imo I don't think its worth it. Especially since you don't plan on studying anything with assumed knowledge extension maths. That way you maximize your marks in other subjects without stressing over 1 unit the whole year.
    neverknow likes this.

HSC

Re: Keep or Drop MX1

Doing better in 3U is piss easy and the solution is simple: do a ton of past papers for every exam. No student with a 3U mark beyond mid-E3/B5 gets there without doing a ton of past papers. Maths is ridiculously easy to improve in, compared to subjects like English or science, where the road to improvement isn't so clear.

It really seems to me that the only reason why you're not doing well in 3U is just because you haven't really put enough effort to practice past papers. This also explains why tutoring isn't working for you, as it is still necessary to do a lot of past papers to succeed even with tutoring. If this is the case, then you'll be facing the same issue with 2U (even though it might seem you're currently doing better in 2U than 3U). If you plan on doing better in 2U, that same mindset should carry you to doing better in 3U as well.

Also, while I'm at it, I should say that doing past papers is essential to doing well in every HSC subject. Maths is just more dependent on it. So if you don't make an effort to actually grind, then your current 3U performance is just the first manifestation of a deeper issue, which will likely purvey into your other subjects as your HSC year continues. Even though this is kind of beside the point, I think it's important that you hear it.

Anyway, if you aren't planning to do courses requiring maths at uni (e.g. engineering, science, IT, economics, finance), then it's fair to drop 3U.
    neverknow likes this.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) III, USYD

Thread Information