Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How do HSC markers bother reading messy responses and still give band 5/6?

  1. #1
    Exalted Member BlueGas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,407
    Rep Power
    5

    How do HSC markers bother reading messy responses and still give band 5/6?

    I've noticed a common trend in the samples responses for English questions and it's that band 5/6 responses are almost always messy and the lower bands have much more tidier and readable writing. Why? What do you think? Here's an example:

    Band 5/6 response:

    https://imgur.com/CJrvqrJ


    Band 3/4 response:

    https://imgur.com/1aoZJSy

  2. #2
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: How do HSC markers bother reading messy responses and still give band 5/6?

    Generally band 5/6 students may have more to write than lower band students so they will obviously be rushing throughout the test to write as much as possible.

    hsc markers are experienced at reading messy responses and they get $hit load of money.

  3. #3
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2025
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,898
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How do HSC markers bother reading messy responses and still give band 5/6?

    you think that is messy? lol

    im sure they can do it with experience and practice
    MX1 Notes | http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (Hons.) [Mechatronics] @UNSW 2018

  4. #4
    Exalted Member BlueGas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,407
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: How do HSC markers bother reading messy responses and still give band 5/6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    you think that is messy? lol

    im sure they can do it with experience and practice
    Yes lol I don't know how this can get any messier.

  5. #5
    Senior Member jazz519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    912
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: How do HSC markers bother reading messy responses and still give band 5/6?

    It is messy but as someone who marks a lot of work in my chemistry tutoring I see messy handwriting but after a while you get used to being able to read it. it just has to readable no one really cares about how tidy it is
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    Tutoring: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...-tutoring.html
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux
    2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

  6. #6
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: How do HSC markers bother reading messy responses and still give band 5/6?

    Maybe I'm jaded, but honestly that "band 5/6" handwriting isn't that bad. I think I can easily identify at least 80% of the words instantaneously, and the remaining 20% is easily inferred from the surrounding context. You can tell that this person's handwriting is usually neat. I like it.

    The "band 3/4" handwriting looks like that of a child. There are weird inconsistencies that bother me for some reason, e.g. a circle replacing a dot, the variations of "f" (in "female" vs "different"), the impotence of "r" in "bring" when the other four letters are fine, et cetera.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) III, USYD

  7. #7
    xD Esse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sanctuary Hotel
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: How do HSC markers bother reading messy responses and still give band 5/6?

    Ahaha that is nowhere near the level of messy writing I have seen. The dude who ranked 3rd in English for my grade literally had to read one of his essays out to a teacher when it was getting marked cause they couldn't read it on their own

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •