How to set out Essay? (1 Viewer)

alussovsky

HSC
Our class was set an essay with the question "‘Through their portrayal of human experiences, texts challenge individuals to see the world differently.’ Discuss this statement in relation to The Merchant of Venice."

How would you set this essay out in terms of arguments? I was planning on doing something like this:

INTRODUCTION

POINT 1 - specific human experience no.1

• Paragraph 1: how it has been portrayed

• Paragraph 2: how the experience challenged a character to see the world differently
POINT 2 - specific human experience no. 2

• Paragraph 1: how it has been portrayed

• Paragraph 2: how the experience challenged a character to see the world differently
CONCLUSION

I feel like this structure is a bit off, though. How should I really set this out? Thank you!

pencilspanker

HSC
First of all,
When it talks about an individual its not talking about a character lol. Its talking about you, us the audience etc
Second of all, the whole point is that you want to talk about how something is portrayed and the effect of that something being portrayed so you actually need to synthesise into one paragraph
Example:
Through the metaphor Shylock expresses his depression....
The audience connects to Shylock's emotional turmoil as a victim of blah blah broadening our understanding about the prejudice of C16th Venice. sorry that was really bad but just made it up on the spott...

alussovsky

HSC
Ohhhhh, I see now, haha, whoops. Sorry, our class hasn't had practice essays or body paragraphs since the start of year 11, so I was a little lost about the whole thing. How many body paragraphs would you recommend for this essay, though, and also how many different points?

pencilspanker

HSC
Ohhhhh, I see now, haha, whoops. Sorry, our class hasn't had practice essays or body paragraphs since the start of year 11, so I was a little lost about the whole thing. How many body paragraphs would you recommend for this essay, though, and also how many different points?
really depends on how many words. I had 1000 words and talked about 2 experiences from 2 texts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)