Marks deducted for using advanced method (1 Viewer)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
In a recent 3u exam, my friend used a method that a tutor taught him that goes beyond the syllabus. In this test, he used definite integrals or something to skip the whole evaluating the constant part of the working out in projectile motion (I think).
Now it obviously works since he got all the answers right, but the teacher that marked it HATES tutors (she's a dumb b*tch who thinks tutors are useless etc.) and wrote 'I have never seen this method before. This is not a valid method, you must use what you have learnt in class.'
Because of this, my friend lost 3 marks (he used the method in 3 different questions, losing a mark for each time) costing him first place.
So my question is: is the teacher allowed to do that?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
post up the question and his solutin, that'd make things alot easier.

and imo no she isnt unless the question specifically asks for a method to be used. you can't deduct a students marks for your own ignorance

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
it really depends on which method was used and if most markers know the method. Heaps of students lost marks in our exams for using a Truong method, so yeah, depends.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If the method works and can be approved as an appropriate method then I see no right to why the teacher can deduct marks... I was given extra marks for using a different method in a calculus test... the teacher was surprised my method worked (although this is just a contrast to this situation).

If the teacher doesn't understand it or can see how it works then that teacher should have taken it to someone higher or a different maths teacher.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
If the method works and can be approved as an appropriate method then I see no right to why the teacher can deduct marks... I was given extra marks for using a different method in a calculus test... the teacher was surprised my method worked (although this is just a contrast to this situation).

If the teacher doesn't understand it or can see how it works then that teacher should have taken it to someone higher or a different maths teacher.
obtaining extra marks? =\

shady145

Banned
HSC
and imo no she isnt unless the question specifically asks for a method to be used. you can't deduct a students marks for your own ignorance
i agree
if they were only 1 mark questions then just write the answer without any working maybe?

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I've never seen it happen in MATHS. Physics is a different question, but in maths, any method which works should be allowed. Was it a "prove" or "show" question? Rules might be different in that case...

K

khorne

You should post the exact question(s). Maybe it asked for a specific way. Additionally, your friends working is required. Just because he go the right answer does not make it logical or coherent.

rheyn

HSC
Yeah I know the method you're talking about and I use it all the time!(but then again my maths teacher is competent)

That particular use of definite integrals is a very valid method that practically everyone utilises in 4U mechanics. Unless the question specified the method, your friend should get that mark and you should ask him or her to teach you that method (because it's so good).

If the teacher does not relent, write a letter or call up the Board of Studies to ask if that method is allowed and whether the mark should be awarded (the answer to both is an emphatic Yes!).

lolokay

HSC
'I have never seen this method before. This is not a valid method, you must use what you have learnt in class.'
i lol'd

nothing wrong with the method. he should get the marks

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Yeah the method is what rheyn's talking about.
The questions were normal projectile motion questions which were worth a few marks each. But every time he used the method (to save some time), he would lose a mark for the working since it "wasn't valid."
He did try and get his marks back from the teacher, but she said no. Also, the head maths teacher hasn't been at school for this whole year (he developed a brain tumor in the summer holidays) so he hasn't been able to do anything school related, and now the b*tch acts as if she's head of maths.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yeah the method is what rheyn's talking about.
The questions were normal projectile motion questions which were worth a few marks each. But every time he used the method (to save some time), he would lose a mark for the working since it "wasn't valid."
He did try and get his marks back from the teacher, but she said no. Also, the head maths teacher hasn't been at school for this whole year (he developed a brain tumor in the summer holidays) so he hasn't been able to do anything school related, and now the b*tch acts as if she's head of maths.
It is a valid math method so your friend should get the marks. Ring up BoS and see what they say, then if you're in the mood talk to your principle if you're on good terms with her :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Perhaps you could look up a reputable textbook which demonstrates the method and show that it is "valid" lol...

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
What the HECK is the definite integral method ?

Do you mean breaking it down such that you have

x acceleration = 0

y acceleration = 9.8

Then integrating from there and subbing in initial conditions ?

zaefr

HSC
okay i wouldnt have as much of a say as others since i dont do 4u, but generally the only relatively "advanced" method u can use in 3u from the 4u course is implicit differentiation. ..

my teacher said sumthing the other day about using methods outside the subject syllabus and said they were generally frowned upon and so its best to stick to how the question wants u to work it out. in a recent 3u test i did sumthing whack which i saw from a textbook and the even tho i got it right the marker wrote "KISS - keep it simple, stupid"

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
okay i wouldnt have as much of a say as others since i dont do 4u, but generally the only relatively "advanced" method u can use in 3u from the 4u course is implicit differentiation. ..

my teacher said sumthing the other day about using methods outside the subject syllabus and said they were generally frowned upon and so its best to stick to how the question wants u to work it out. in a recent 3u test i did sumthing whack which i saw from a textbook and the even tho i got it right the marker wrote "KISS - keep it simple, stupid"
I got told that you can't get marked down for knowledge ie you can use any method you want so long as you get the correct answer.

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
The teacher is an idiot. Yes, I am fortunate enough to share the same teacher as Youngminii.

cassieagill

HSC
In a recent 3u exam, my friend used a method that a tutor taught him that goes beyond the syllabus. In this test, he used definite integrals or something to skip the whole evaluating the constant part of the working out in projectile motion (I think).
Now it obviously works since he got all the answers right, but the teacher that marked it HATES tutors (she's a dumb b*tch who thinks tutors are useless etc.) and wrote 'I have never seen this method before. This is not a valid method, you must use what you have learnt in class.'
Because of this, my friend lost 3 marks (he used the method in 3 different questions, losing a mark for each time) costing him first place.
So my question is: is the teacher allowed to do that?
if its a valid way to get the answer and the answer is right, then she cannot take off marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)