Weird Maths in Focus Question (1 Viewer)

Smilebuffalo

HSC
This question is really weird to me, i can't get the answer.

The question is: "twelve differently coloured beads are arranged around a necklace. How many different arrangements are possible?"

Answer:19,958,400

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Answer is 11! / 2. [I only noticed this cause my answer was double the given answer]

But I would've thought it'd just be 11!. Someone explain please? :p

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
maybe because... when you flip the necklace over, you get the other half of the solutions

so you only need 11!/2, because the other arrangements occur when you flip it over? haha.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Yep, that's the correct reasoning. When I first saw this question myself I found it really quaint...

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
haha necklaces are in their own separate category; why isnt there an arrangements on a necklace chapter in any of these stupid books.

i think its a stupid question.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Likewise, lol. One could argue you could flip over a table with people sitting on it...wouldn't be overly comfortable xD

Smilebuffalo

HSC
LOL okay. But i don't understand why "when you flip the necklace over, you get the other half of the solutions". What does this mean and how is it different from a circle? :\

Sorry i find these concepts a bit hard to grasp.

studybuddy09

HSC
I think you should go buy some twine and thread some different coloured beads on and see what happens when you flip it.

If you cant be bothered i can just tell you that when you flip a necklace it reverses, so it would form a different pattern, thereby excluding the need for making that pattern again.

i might be wrong though but i dont think so. hope this helps

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
LOL okay. But i don't understand why "when you flip the necklace over, you get the other half of the solutions". What does this mean and how is it different from a circle? :\

Sorry i find these concepts a bit hard to grasp.

well just think of it like
you have 4 beads on a necklace

so there should be 6 ways to arrange them

but for instance, one particular arrangement

A B C D (in a clockwise direction) is equivalent to A C B D once the thing is flipped over.

you can only flip it twice, flipping it more obviously yields nothing, so you need to divide by two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)