Accelerating with tutors? (1 Viewer)

PROFESSOROAK

HSC
Hey guys,

So i was just talking to a few class mates in my maths class, which is my extension 1 and 2 unit maths class combined and I found out that they've gone way past the rate we are going at school. My school is going a bit slow at the moment, we've only just finished differetiation and other schools have finished integration already =S.

I do maths tutoring but I'm not accelerating ahead like some of my peers, Apparently most of them have finished the whole 2 unit course for 11 & 12, half way through 3 unit for 11 & 12 and just finished the first topic of 4 unit maths ( imaginary numbers? ). This kind of got me worrying as relative to them, I seem to be so far behind =/ I was wondering if its better to accelerate ahead or keep in par with school? This has really gotten me thinking today because I thought I was actually doing well in maths however after finding this out, this might not be the case.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
just keep on par.
I was worried too, but in the end I beat most of those people.

K

khorne

Accelerate by yourself...Year 11 and 12 maths is pretty easy really...Just get a good textbook, like cambridge, and go for it.

cat-craze

HSC
I don't personally think accelerating is all that beneficial. In my old tutor, i practically finished the whole 3 unit course in year 10, but i had to relearn everything this year all over again.

Accelerarting with your tutor can make you lazy at school, or at least you'll find it easier to neglect the things you feel you already know, maybe it's just me but i've learnt my lesson the hard way.

Of course, if you feel that you're up to speed with everything in math so far than there's no reason to not try and get ahead, but eventually you'll all get tested on the same things so staying on par with the school is what i consider to be the logical choice.

:)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Study ahead of your school yourself
No need to spend money
Accelerating does not always produce good outcomes anyway

lychnobity

HSC
Hey guys,

So i was just talking to a few class mates in my maths class, which is my extension 1 and 2 unit maths class combined and I found out that they've gone way past the rate we are going at school. My school is going a bit slow at the moment, we've only just finished differetiation and other schools have finished integration already =S.

I do maths tutoring but I'm not accelerating ahead like some of my peers, Apparently most of them have finished the whole 2 unit course for 11 & 12, half way through 3 unit for 11 & 12 and just finished the first topic of 4 unit maths ( imaginary numbers? ). This kind of got me worrying as relative to them, I seem to be so far behind =/ I was wondering if its better to accelerate ahead or keep in par with school? This has really gotten me thinking today because I thought I was actually doing well in maths however after finding this out, this might not be the case.
If you're currently in year 11, then you're on track - but I would say self accelerating a few topics would be beneficial.

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
I'd say accelerate, especially if your thinking of doing Ext 2 Maths in year 12.
I didn't accelerate for 2 Unit and its a bit of a pain learning all three maths courses.
Accelerating will mean that the year 12 2U maths you'll learn in class will be revision and hopefully that reduces the workload.
Its definitely an advantage to accelerate so if you can cope with it, do it for sure.

HSC
^lol every schools different. some schools separate classes into potential 3u/4u and 2u scrub classes and finish most if not all 2u material during year 11 so there won't be revision or whatever u call it in year 12 <_>

abhi23

HSC
^yeah if OP's school does that then there is no need for acceleration but if like my school it doesnt than acceleration is definitely a good idea.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I self accelerated in 2 unit Maths and I've finished the Year 12 course. It's helpful because I sit back and relax during class.

I'm planning to self accelerate 4 unit but I don't know which textbook to use. i started off with an Excel study guide and there are hardly any explanations and the half page working out examples are daunting.. the only thing I get is Complex Numbers!!!!

abhi23

HSC
I'm planning to self accelerate 4 unit but I don't know which textbook to use. i started off with an Excel study guide and there are hardly any explanations and the half page working out examples are daunting.. the only thing I get is Complex Numbers!!!!
Use Fitzpatrick for basics and theory then Cambridge for harder, prob solving questions when you are confident.

HSC
pretty much every topics in 4u are self teachable except maybe conics, mechanics (if you are physics noob) and harder 3u stuff(?)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
true, but if you get off track then you're screwed.
you might need a little guidance.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I was accelerated through the 2U/3U course (obviously) as I now have to dread the final HSC exams with the rest of the Year 12 cohort. :p

I think accelerating is beneficial for you, as long as you know you will continue to work hard even though you know you're ahead.

In regard to a few of you going ahead on your own a couple of chapters... I think it's a great idea. It should help motivate you to finish faster and revise older skills/topics in the meantime during classes.

HSC
ya the point of finishing the course early is so u can do over 9000 papers :) then as soon as you see the questions you can juts do it without thinking cos maths is boring and repetitive

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Math is repetitve in the HSC, not boring.

And although i've accelerated, I have been doing lots of papers but I'm alsmost fresh out of the decent ones... o_O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)