Text books (1 Viewer)

Atarer

HSC
I am wondering what maths textbooks do schools usually use?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
mine uses Jones and Couchman for 3U
Fitzpatrick for 2U
Cambridge + Fitzpatrick for 4U

rawrawr

HSC
we use a variety depending on the teacher
theres corenos/ cambridge and jonescouchman for 3u.
i personally believe cambridge is best as it really gives you a challenge.. but cambridge isn't great at explaining, just pay attetion in class :D

Last edited:

Dumbledore

HSC
accelerated 2u + 4u students:
2u - coroneos
3u - fitzpatrick
4u - cambridge + fitzpatrick

the rest:
maths in focus

Divinity_

HSC
Start off with something easy like Maths in Focus and then move onto Fitzpatrick/Cambridge.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Coroneos for 2U and 3U, although it misses little stuff like 'halving the interval' method in Ext 1 approx. of roots, and the derivatives/integrals of ax. Overall pretty solid book if you can stand the font.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
which book is best in explaining?
I don't think any textbooks are really good at explaining. Best is to have a good teacher. For starters, I think Maths in focus and Jones and couchman is a good book.

jet

Banned
HSC
Sadly, we use maths in focus for 2u/3u. It doesn't really have any difficult questions in it at all.

For 4u the teacher hand wrote overheads which we used but it was terry lee for homework exercises.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Sadly, we use maths in focus for 2u/3u. It doesn't really have any difficult questions in it at all.

For 4u the teacher hand wrote overheads which we used but it was terry lee for homework exercises.
Terry Lee is a really good book i i think, i use it + Cambridge. The only problem i've found with Terry lee is some later Q in excerises can be non-intuitive, in that it can only be solved by using one method ( seeing a Q in a certain way) i'm not big on that

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC

Maths in focus makes maths intellectually unsatisfying

jet

Banned
HSC
Terry Lee is a really good book i i think, i use it + Cambridge. The only problem i've found with Terry lee is some later Q in excerises can be non-intuitive, in that it can only be solved by using one method ( seeing a Q in a certain way) i'm not big on that
I agree. I hate the fact that you have to peek at BOB to even get anywhere.

Maths in focus makes maths intellectually unsatisfying
+1

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
I agree. I hate the fact that you have to peek at BOB to even get anywhere.
Yep, I'm exactly the same. Some Q you cannot help it though, you just have no idea what so ever of how to attack the Q, especially in the Challenge exercises, some Q use such an obscure method.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)