Un/Likely Questions for HSC 2009 (1 Viewer)

davemate03

HSC
Hey guys, I've been looking through some HSC ext 1 papers lately, and it seems they have a few questions they never ask, and a few that they always do.

For example, I have never seen any binomial theorem "greatest coefficient" questions in since HSC1992. Does this mean that they'll never ask this?

Anyone else picked up any other patterns?

Thecorey0

HSC
It is probably best not to guess what is or what is not going to be in the paper. Just prepare for everything. Likely chance is that there will be a projectile motion and a binomial proof in question 6 and/or 7 though.

jet

Banned
HSC
Circle Geo q. 3-5
Binomial Q 5-6
Projectile Q 7
Perms&Combs Q 2-3
Integration (with substitution/sin2 etc) Q 1-2
Dividing an interval externally Q 1
Induction Q 3
Might be a 3D trig question, Q 5-7
Rates of change Q 4-6ish (depending on difficulty)
Locus Q3-5

That's all I can think of right now.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I've been looking through some HSC ext 1 papers lately, and it seems they have a few questions they never ask, and a few that they always do.

For example, I have never seen any binomial theorem "greatest coefficient" questions in since HSC1992. Does this mean that they'll never ask this?

Anyone else picked up any other patterns?
Funny you mention that. If youve seen the CSSA, NEAP and IND papers for 2009 MX1, you'll see all had quite a bit of binomial theorem in them (and towards the end of the paper), and two of them had a 'greatest coefficient' question in the form of 'which will have the greatest probability' (naturally, it was to do with binomial probability).

Could be asked, certainly well within the syllabus.

I have a feeling it might crop up this year.

davemate03

HSC
1) Hmmm yeh good points guys, I'm thinking I should just learn Binomial in good detail anyways, esp if its at the end of the paper. Oh and induction definitely will be there i rkn. I have so much trouble with the inequality type ones:
e.g.
Prove by induction:

3^n > n(n+1)(n+2)

2) Pwnage101, do you know where I could get CSSA, NEAP and IND papers for 2009 MX1? My school writes its own papers.

Cheers in advance

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't be surprised if Parametrics is really crap/easy/boring or not even in there - I rarely notice them. Binomial have been quite hard imo in the later papers since I suck at it as well. Projectile will most likely be Question 7 but knowing my luck Binomial will be 7.

There should also be a decent size question around 5 on inverse or it will be combined in with something like large integration stuff or SHM.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1) Hmmm yeh good points guys, I'm thinking I should just learn Binomial in good detail anyways, esp if its at the end of the paper. Oh and induction definitely will be there i rkn. I have so much trouble with the inequality type ones:
e.g.
Prove by induction:

3^n > n(n+1)(n+2)

2) Pwnage101, do you know where I could get CSSA, NEAP and IND papers for 2009 MX1? My school writes its own papers.

Cheers in advance
3^n > n(n+1)(n+2)

Uhh:

Step 1: For n=1

3^n > n(n+1)(n+2)
3^(1) > (1)[(1)+1][(1)+2]
3^1 > 1 . 2 . 3
3 > 6

Not true for n=1.

Well, that was easy =P

davemate03

HSC
umm sorry shadow dude, but if forgot to add that its
for n > 4 i.e. n greater or equal to 5

so: By induction

3^n > n(n+1)(n+2)

for n > 4 ?

davemate03

HSC
yeh jm01, i got to the inductive step in step 2, however, i don't really understand the:
(as k+3 < 3k for k>1)
how did you come up with this? I understand what its doing, but how did you find out that k+ 3 was < 3k ?
Do you just trial and error until you get an expression you want?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
how did you come up with this? I understand what its doing, but how did you find out that k+ 3 was < 3k ?
You need to show that 3k+1 > (k+1)(k+2)(k+3). This is proving that it is true for n=k+1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)