Questions regarding my tutors teaching methods (1 Viewer)

WEMG

HSC
My 3U tutoring teacher doesnt teach systematically, he gives me a past HSC paper which has all sorts of questions.

He does teach me, but only teaches me how to do questions that come up in the papers. For example, he gives me a sheet with trig, differentiation, etc and he just teaches me how to do each of them.

I am not doubting him or anything since he has taught a few students who get 95 UAI+, but I was wondering whether this is a good approach or not.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My 3U tutoring teacher doesnt teach systematically, he gives me a past HSC paper which has all sorts of questions.

He does teach me, but only teaches me how to do questions that come up in the papers. For example, he gives me a sheet with trig, differentiation, etc and he just teaches me how to do each of them.

I am not doubting him or anything since he has taught a few students who get 95 UAI+, but I was wondering whether this is a good approach or not.
He is your tutor right not your class teacher?

A tutor shouldn't be actually teaching but refining your approach to things that are being taught in class.

So by getting you to review and practice the approach to the types of questions that you will find in the HSC he is really preparing you for the exam and also making sure that you will know the content of the course but in a different approach to that taken by your class teacher.

I think you have a very good tutor there.

Affinity

HSC
the best teaching method depends on the situation... it's mostly how you feel you are tracking

Tofuu

HSC
i think his goal is to get you used to HSC type questions instead of textbook ones, and if he's taught students with 95+, i'm sure his methods have reason

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
if he's teaching you, I think he should be teaching you the theory if you are learning ahead of what your school is teaching. I mean thats what I do when I tutor. As for his past paper approach, as mentioned there is nothing wrong with that just as long as he gives you a diverse range of questions and allows you to give it a shot before you get some help. Is it a student or teacher that is tutoring you WEMG?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I read of a Physics teacher here who did not use any textbooks, but went point by point on the syllabus. I suppose this is similar.

Odd, but it appears as if it works.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I read of a Physics teacher here who did not use any textbooks, but went point by point on the syllabus. I suppose this is similar.
That is being systematic.

My Physics teacher did the same too without using a textbook :D

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
i think its a good method though you'll have to check up on textbooks if you want extra knowledge and understanding.

K

khorne

I believe that fear is an essential element of tutoring. The student needs to feel scared of you, whether this is achieved through verbal or physical actions. This is an essential element of tough love, and regular, inbetween study session beatings are an important element of learning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)