Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maths 2U vs. Maths 3U

HSC

Re: Maths 2U vs. Maths 3U

2unit is a general overview of relatively deeper concepts in math. The course is very calculus based with some study of trigonometry and series etc. 3 unit is simply going a little deeper not much of a jump if you ask me. 4 unit is where things get very interesting.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by mathaesthetics View Post
    2unit is a general overview of relatively deeper concepts in math. The course is very calculus based with some study of trigonometry and series etc. 3 unit is simply going a little deeper not much of a jump if you ask me. 4 unit is where things get very interesting.
    2 unit is calculus based. What is 3 unit and 4 unit then? I would assume 3 unit to be trig, but what about 4 unit?
    Sydney Secondary College BWB Campus
    Mechanical Engineering/Commerce (Finance) @ USYD

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeet View Post
    Most schools make a separate class for 4U, so they do the 3U and 4U together. However at my school they kept the 4U students in their 3U classes so technically they do learn 2U stuff, but it's not really needed at all for 4U.
    And I'm not completely sure why it becomes 4units
    its because you still learn 2U. You may just get into the harder 3u stuff alot quicker but you still learn 2u when you do ext 2.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by umm what View Post
    2u is gay,
    LOL hahaha

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Amundies View Post
    2 unit is calculus based. What is 3 unit and 4 unit then? I would assume 3 unit to be trig, but what about 4 unit?
    3u and 4u are more difficult applications and concepts based on calculus, you could say.
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

HSC

2U has stupid shit like probability - drawing up sample space and counting.... in year 12. (I do 2u/3u - I just find that bit stupid)
    B. Comm/B. Laws , Sydney.

HSC

As a qualified teacher, I wouldn't say that 2 U has stupid stuff in it. Its just that every student is different and some kids will find 2U or Maths General 2 to be hard because of their mathematical skills and understanding

Out of 2U, 3U and 4U, I would personally say that 3U is the most balanced in terms of difficulty, understanding and the achievability of the questions.

2U is good for those who want a basic taste of calculus and the engineering maths. 4U imo is more focused on the algebra as opposed to the understanding. The good thing about the new 4U syllabus is that it focuses back on the understanding as opposed to the algebra. I would say though that basic conics, circular motion and banked tracks should still be included (but nothing beyond deriving the equation of a tangent or the equations of velocity and acceleration)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information