Will these cirlce geometry abbreviations be penalised in the HSC exam? (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
The angle between a tangent and a chord through the point of contact is equal to the angle in the alternate segment
(alternate segment theorem)

The sequare of the length of the tangement from an external point is equal to the product of the intercepts of the secant passing through this point
(tangent-secant theorem)

The exterior angle at a vertex of a cyclic quadrilateral is equal to the interior opposite angle in a circle
(ext. angles = interior opp. <'s)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
The angle between a tangent and a chord through the point of contact is equal to the angle in the alternate segment

The sequare of the length of the tangement from an external point is equal to the product of the intercepts of the secant passing through this point
(tangent-secant theorem)

The exterior angle at a vertex of a cyclic quadrilateral is equal to the interior opposite angle in a circle
They will NOT be penalised.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
They will NOT be penalised.
my year 12 Maths teacher has been marking HSC for ~20 years and she said that some years the head marker is a nazi and tells everyone to mark them wrong unless they're written out in full.

So I disagree. You should definitely write them out in full.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

(tangent-secant theorem)

The bottom one is fine but the top 2 are a bit vague, I'd write more for those to be sure but as Carrotsticks has said, they should all be fine.

billym

HSC
There is no set rule for what they will or won't accept, since the head marker can change year to year. I personally think it is completely ridiculous to not accept abbreviations (after all, what are we trying to test exactly?), but a few years ago a student lost a mark in a HSC exam by saying "alt. angles" rather than "alternate angles". Let this be a warning to you.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
My tutor tells me to write the complete whole sentence out although it can be quite time consuming. In my school, teachers get really strict in their marking and I know they encourage us not to write any forms of abbreviations. I don't know about the HSC though - I heard you don't get penalised although there's debate on even that.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
a few years ago a student lost a mark in a HSC exam by saying "alt. angles" rather than "alternate angles".
I'm assuming they were talking about alternate angles with 2 parallel lines and in which case, you MUST state that they are parallel or you don't deserve the mark.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
As there appears to be no concensus, just write it in full just to be safe.

billym

HSC
I'm assuming they were talking about alternate angles with 2 parallel lines and in which case, you MUST state that they are parallel or you don't deserve the mark.
They stated the two parallel lines, they lost a mark solely because they used the abbreviation "alt." for "alternate".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)