Projectile Motion - 2 Collision question :D (1 Viewer)

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
---------------

1. A target is hung on a wall at height h metres. A small cannon which fires a slimy lead slug, is located on the floow, d metres from the rigid wall.

The muzzle velocity, V, of the cannon is adjustable.

The cannon is aimed at the bulls eyes on the target at an angle of elevation of THETA degrees.

At the instant the cannon is fired, the target is released and falls vertically downwards under the force of gravity g.

given x(2 dots on top) = 0, y(2 dots on top) = -g

So the first part says to find the 6 equations of motions + cartesian equation THEN SUB IN (d,h)

Here is the last part: Experiments with the cannon show that the slug always hits the bulls eye regardless of the muzzle velocity. EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS SO....

Thanks

- I deleted the first question

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
How much is that question worth?
My only bet is that depending on the velocity the angle theta can be configured in a way such that it does hit the target?
So in the cartesian form with h and d. As V approaches infinity h approaches d tan theta

And it doesnt matter what h/d is, its still holds valid that a theta exists such that this is true (since domain of tan inverse is all real x)

?

Not sure

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
My only bet is that depending on the velocity the angle theta can be configured in a way such that it does hit the target?
So in the cartesian form with h and d. As V approaches infinity h approaches d tan theta

And it doesnt matter what h/d is, its still holds valid that a theta exists such that this is true (since domain of tan inverse is all real x)

?

Not sure
I will take my time to right up the question again:

A target is hung on a wall at height h metres. A small cannon which fires a slimy lead slug, is located on the floor, d metres from the rigid wall. The muzzle velocity, V, of the cannon is adjustable. The cannon is aimed at the bulls eyes on the target at an angle of elevation of THETA degrees. At the instant the cannon is fired, the target is released and falls vertically downwards under the force of gravity g.

Given that and

Diagram:

a) Show that after time t:

and

b) Show that the slug hits the wall at a vertical height of:

c) Experiments with the cannon show that the slug always hits the bulls eye regardless of the muzzle velocity. Explain why this is so.

I think the question if worth 3-4 marks (the question is from tutoring handout, so I am not sure)

Attachments

Last edited:

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC

?

Not sure
YES I DID THAT! using limits, but i still don't fully understand ur reasoning Sy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)