1994 Past paper question (1 Viewer)

BenBrownTown

HSC
Question 5
Find All angles θ, where 0 ≤ θ < 2π, for which

√3 sin θ - cos θ = 1
could anyone please post working how to find solution with explanation please and thankyou

deswa1

HSC
I don't have time for a full worked solution sorry but I'll give the general method and then hopefully you can do it or someone can post a full solution.

Basically you are using whats known as the auxilliary angles method. You basically change the LHS into the form of Asin(theta-b) for some A,b (your textbook should show you how to do this) and then you solve like an ordinary trig equation.

OR, you can use the t-formula if you are more algebraically inclined and then solve for t etc.

BenBrownTown

HSC
I don't have time for a full worked solution sorry but I'll give the general method and then hopefully you can do it or someone can post a full solution.

Basically you are using whats known as the auxilliary angles method. You basically change the LHS into the form of Asin(theta-b) for some A,b (your textbook should show you how to do this) and then you solve like an ordinary trig equation.

OR, you can use the t-formula if you are more algebraically inclined and then solve for t etc.
I'll type up a solution now, give me a minute :)

all good i understand now i just didnt see that you needed to use auxilliary methods, thankyou very much makes sense now

BenBrownTown

HSC
Basically you are using whats known as the auxilliary angles method. OR, you can use the t-formula if you are more algebraically inclined and then solve for t etc.
sorry for the double post but correct me if im wrong but i can sketch them both on the same axis and take values from the sketch

deswa1

HSC
sorry for the double post but correct me if im wrong but i can sketch them both on the same axis and take values from the sketch
How on earth are you going to sketch that accurately? Your answer will most likely be an irrational number -> there's no way you'd get the answer from a graph

For these questions, stick to algebraic or trig methods

BenBrownTown

HSC
very true, It is simple to get a decimal value but otherwise it is extremely difficult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)