Minimising Stupid Errors (1 Viewer)

karnbmx

HSC
Hey guys,

What is the best way to minimise stupid errors when doing past papers? I find it really frustrating when I find 'silly' (or shall I rather say, careless) mistakes around my paper.

Some stupid errors include:

- adding instead of multiplying (or vice versa)
- forgetting to carry a number from previous line of working
- inadvertently skipping a question (yes deswa1 it is possible :p)

the list is endless.... ><

HSC
Uni Grad
If you can, you can always confirm your answer by using a different method.

And in other cases, where required, if you get a negative time, then it means you have done something wrong. That's from my experience though.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Careless errors come from doing a question or a step 'half-consciously' since you have drilled it in so many times, so you don't think about what you're actually doing.

So for example, a lot of careless errors come from basic arithmetic. This is because a lot of us have it drilled and it becomes 'second nature'. However, since we are just doing it mindlessly, we make those errors due to lack of attention.

Solution: Pay attention to even small steps. Think about everything you do.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
don be stupad and u not make stupad mistakes

HSC
Uni Grad
Careless errors come from doing a question or a step 'half-consciously' since you have drilled it in so many times, so you don't think about what you're actually doing.

So for example, a lot of careless errors come from basic arithmetic. This is because a lot of us have it drilled and it becomes 'second nature'. However, since we are just doing it mindlessly, we make those errors due to lack of attention.

Solution: Pay attention to even small steps. Think about everything you do.
Also to the OP, when you have time to check the paper, check everything carefully. Don't get complacent thinking that you have mastered that particular 'easy' question. It happens to a lot of people and as a result, they end up seeing the mistakes after they have done their paper. So this means that you should follow every single line of working out especially if it's not a proof related question.

After all, this is examination technique.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
When you check the paper, do the question again perhaps - with the original solution covered up and see if you get the same thing.

Or if you have less time, just read over it and see if you can spot mistakes in reasoning or maths... and that should be easy if you set out your working nicely and your page is not just full of numbers and maths symbols.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)