Ok quick questions (1 Viewer)

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
When I am doing working out for a question, can I get straight and flow through it or do I have to state the obvious steps (eg. squaring both sides, times both sides by "q", divide everything by "b")

For getting acceleration in terms of x to velocity in terms of x, when integrating, do i need to say "Integrating both sides" or can i just write 2 integral signs on both sides and proceed?

Last edited:

zeebobDD

HSC
for motion, writing integrate both sides would help, but for simple stuff like squaring n stuff you don't need to

da_man_13

HSC
i would probably state squaring both sides just to be safe but saying integrating both sides is essential

RishBonjour

HSC
if it says show or something, you show every step, other than that, do it as fast as you can. don't think you are marked down for that. In fact, if you check marking guidelines for maths, its like "3 marks - correct solution".

da_man_13

HSC
imo no need for times both sides by "q" and divide everything by "b"

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
No need to say what you're doing (unless it is not clear) because symbollically it should be obvious to the marker

Shadowless

HSC
i would probably state squaring both sides just to be safe but saying integrating both sides is essential
When you say 'state' do you mean use the symbols or actually write "Integrating Both Sides:"?

da_man_13

HSC
State: as in write 'integrating both sides'. Although it may be obvious to the marker i would still be on the safe side and write it unless you are really short of time

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
When integrating/differentiating both sides in respect to "x" for binomial calculus, can i write integrating both sides w.r.t x, or do i have to write out in full, ie integrating both sides with respect to x

da_man_13

HSC
In an exam situation i'd be more inclined to write 'with respect to x' rather than w.r.t. I know it's tedious to fully write it out but if you think back to curve sketching using calculus we can't abbreviate points of inflexion to P.O.I. Basically just write it out... it will only take 3 seconds but it is a fine line.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
In an exam situation i'd be more inclined to write 'with respect to x' rather than w.r.t. I know it's tedious to fully write it out but if you think back to curve sketching using calculus we can't abbreviate points of inflexion to P.O.I. Basically just write it out... it will only take 3 seconds but it is a fine line.
Aight thanks man, cos i saw "w.r.t" in a trials sol'n

da_man_13

HSC
you're welcome :) you'll usually see it written as w.r.t in trial solutions because they try to save time by writing solutions in short hand

Timothy6340

HSC
like the only thing i really do is like put the things in boxes at the right hand side of the page like a=d/dx 1/2v^2

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If it's not immediately obvious what you're doing, I'd suggest writing it - for clarity as well, so when you check it you don't go "wtf did i do here".

For instance, I was doing a tute problem and I had to divide both sides by rHR'' - and... yeah, very messy and not immediately obvious. So obviously I wrote in my margin (divide both sides by rHR'').

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)