Polynomials concern (1 Viewer)

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
When doing polynomials questions and your need to chuck in some SUM AND PRODUCT OF ROOTS, i know its gonna be easy BUT...

when doing sum of roots, what is the special particular sign that i can use to represent sum of roots, also what is the special sign to do product of roots

i see in Terry Lee solutions, he uses:

Sum of roots:

Product of roots:

Can i use this in the HSC for both 3U and 4U instead of writing sum of roots...product of roots....

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: for example, give roots are 2 and 3, form a quadratic equation

terry lee does: im skipping steps

:-5 =b

:6=c

therefore equation is

im observing terry lee's working out, i do not get tutored by him

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
My teacher, a HSC marker, always told me to write out the proper sum and product rather than the notation listed above. I don't think it's allowed though but I'm not 100% sure.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Oh nice, ok cool

Does it have to be capital, or can i write it as lower case-sigma/pi sign
Yes. No you cannot write it in capitals. Lower case sigma and pi represent something different. If you write lowercase pi you should know that it represents a number, the lower case sigma is used for standard deviation in statistics.

Last edited:

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Yes. No you cannot write it in capitals. Lower case sigma and pi represent something different. If you write lowercase pi you should know that represents a number, the lower case sigma is used for standard deviation in statistics.
ok thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)