Getting prepared next Year 11 Math EXTENSION 1? (1 Viewer)

Zokunu

HSC
Hi, to start this off, I love math, but only if I know what I'm doing.

Alot of teachers are saying Math Extension is hard, you need to be fast etc. But how can I get prepared for this? What topic should I focus ON THE MOST? And what exactly do you learn in the first term of Math Extension.
I don't want to get kicked out and embarass myself....and also what text book should I use for Math Extension 1 thx.

CrackerMo

HSC
N/A
How can you be prepared? Try doing as many questions as you can!
What topic should you focus on the most? Every topic. Class tests will reflect your understanding of the topic. If you don't do well, do more questions from that topic so that you get the marks when it counts!
What do you learn in the first term of MX1? Every school will be different, but you will usually skim over year 10 work in a week or so. I.e. surds and indicies, basic algebra etc. Then I did equations and inequalities, logs, circle geo, coordinate geo, functions (graphing etc).
What textbook should you use? Fitzpatrick is great. Math in Focus if you don't understand any concept.

Last edited:

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Be prepared by keeping an open mind! Don't go into it thinking that it'll be really hard. Not a very good attitude, and ended up in me being bottom of the cohort at the beginning of the year. Afterwards, you realise it's not as bad as it's hyped up to be.
Our school did circle geo and inequations, not sure what else we did.
Textbook-wise try not to use Math in Focus alone, it's very basic. I have Fitzpatrick, school has Math in Focus, so once I get an idea I went on to do a bit from Fitzpatrick. One thing I didnt do was past papers. Try and find some online, print them out and do them whenever you can.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I tell Year 10 kids going into MX1 this each year.

1. If you like maths, you will be more inclined to study maths.

2. Make sure you have consolidated on every topic you have learnt since Year 7 (though there will be no statistics in your senior years). Yes your school will most likely spend the first few weeks revising the content.

3. Make sure you have thorough knowledge of the theory before attempting exercise questions next year. Just attempting the questions may not necessarily be enough. It helps to understand what you are actually doing rather than following a generic method.

4. Past papers start them early for each topic. Some trial papers can be found here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=290055&highlight=gift+BOS

5. Be consistent with homework.

6. Don't be scared to explore in maths.

7. Enjoy maths.

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
If you excel in 2U, 3U will be less of a challenge. This is because in 3U a lot of the topics are sparsed out in extensions of 2U topics (further graphs, further locus etc), but there are of course entirely new topics.

Therefore just because you do 3U, doesn't mean you should neglect 2U. (thats just one tip I would give)

D94

HSC
N/A
Well the main thing is to not fall behind...

I reckon Fitzpatrick was pretty good as it mixed easy and hard questions so you could do a column of exercises or something and still have a good range of questions. Cambridge is good if you want to challenge yourself with harder questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)