Induction Question-types (1 Viewer)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I just wanted to know what different "types" of Mathematical Induction questions there are. E.g. There are ones that include logs, factorials, etc. I just want to get to know the different types so I make sure I don't get surprised by any questions which I haven't encountered before in an assessment task (had a quiz today with factorials, managed to work it out but damn it was a good challenge...)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
There's Sum, divisibilty, inequalities, you can get logs, factorials and ones that include sigma not sure if there are anything else, but you can't really be chucked a question e.g say induction with logs if you haven't actually learned it at school/

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I've got inequalities, sum (pretty much the same as sigma ones) and divisibility ones down.

And EpikHigh, we didn't learn to do Induction with factorials at school, still got it in a class test :p Thanks for that though!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
There is also strong induction, which is used in the Extension 2 course to prove closed-form solutions for recurrence relations.

A classic strong induction question would be Binet's Formula.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Geometrical induction, probability induction, etc can all come up (albeit unlikely).

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Inequalities are quite tricky
3U inequality induction questions are alright. Most of the time you "fudge" the answer to the next step and then justify it in the previous step.

There are 4 main types of induction:

1. Summation
2. Divisibility
3. Inequality
4. Miscellaneous (mostly 4U)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)