Polynomials help (1 Viewer)

planino

HSC
Could someone please help me with this?

If the sum of two roots of
x4 + 2x3 - 8x2 - 18x - 9 - 0 = is 0, find the roots of the equation.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

As the sum of two roots is 0, we will select alpha + beta to be equal to 0.

Notice if we can somehow factorise like this [Something](alpha + beta) we will eliminate two terms.

Similar process to before,

From (2),

Now some information arises,

Form a quadratic with each of these.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Let the four roots be k, -k, A and B.

Sum of roots is A + B + k - k = -2, hence A + B = -2.

Sum of roots in pairs is -k^2 + Ak + Bk - Ak - Bk + AB = -8, hence -k^2 + AB = -8.

Product of roots is -k^2 x AB = -9

Substituting the fact that AB = k^2 - 8, we have -k^2 (k^2 - 8) = -9

Re-arranging this, we get a quartic (hidden as a quadratic): k^4 - 8k^2 - 9 = 0.

Solving this, we have (k^2-9)(k^2+1) = 0 and hence k = plus/minus 3.

Now, substitute this back into the product of roots to acquire -9 x AB = -9 and hence AB = 1.

We now have the simultaneous equations A + B = -2 and AB = 1, which I am sure you can finish off yourself. Trivially the solutions are A=-1 and B=-1, but your school may be strict with it and require you to actually solve a quadratic etc.

superSAIyan2

HSC
Just out of curiosity is it possible for a quarticsuch as the one above to have 4 real roots as well as imaginary roots even though the rule is that the max amount of roots a poly can have is its degree.

The reason i asked is because in carrotsticks' working he got (k^2-9)(k^2+1)=0 -----> so could k = plus/minus i as well? Obviously this won't be asked in 3unit. But is it still a root? However when u sub x=i into the equation you dont get zero.

Can anyone explain this to me? Carrotsticks do you have any suggestions ? :)
BTW i have not learnt polynomials in 4unit yet so i dont know any associated theorems. I'm just being curious.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Just out of curiosity is it possible for a quarticsuch as the one above to have 4 real roots as well as imaginary roots even though the rule is that the max amount of roots a poly can have is its degree.

The reason i asked is because in carrotsticks' working he got (k^2-9)(k^2+1)=0 -----> so could k = plus/minus i as well? Obviously this won't be asked in 3unit. But is it still a root? However when u sub x=i into the equation you dont get zero.

Can anyone explain this to me? Carrotsticks do you have any suggestions ? :)
BTW i have not learnt polynomials in 4unit yet so i dont know any associated theorems. I'm just being curious.
The reason why we do not get zeroes from is when we are solving for k in C in this particular case.
I am guessing it is similar to the reason why some solutions do not work when we are solving for multiple absolute values:
For instance:

When we solve for this we can 4 solutions, however sometimes only 2 of them are correct, and we find if they are correct or not via substitution. Probably NOT because of the same reason, some of the solutions in k just dont work. And I am guessing it is similar logic.

The fundamental theorem of algebra will always hold for x in C.
Though I honestly have little idea in why this is the case that k = +- i does not work. It isn't like we are restricting k in R or something.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I think he is referring to the polynomial in x (the actual question)
Yer tbh I didn't read the question lol, it seemed to me he was referring to the equation I was using though so I went with it.

superSAIyan2

HSC
lol sorry if i was a bit hard to understand. but could any of you guys explain why you dont get 0 when u sub x = i into the quartic eqn

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Also it's because the original polynomial has only 4 roots, and no more. Since we are letting k and -k be two roots, they can only take on one distinct value. If the 3, -3, i, -i were all possible values for k and -k, we would have a contradiction as there would be more than 4 roots. The roots would be 3, -3, i, -i, A, B, and hence there would be 6 roots, etc.

superSAIyan2

HSC
oh ok. so you are restricted with the number of solns you obtain as only some are correct - and to determine which roots are valid would you have to sub it into the eqn and check? Thanks realise and sy123

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)