Quadratic equation Problem (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey all,

The problem is to : Form the quadratic equation with roots which exceed by 2 the roots of *3x^2-(p-4)^2x -(2p-1)= 0. Also find the values of p for which the given equation has equal roots.

Thx all

HSC
The easiest thing here to do is to use the relationship between the roots and the coefficients.

Say the roots of the given equation are A and B. We wish to form a quadratic with roots (A+2) and (B+2). Any regular quadratic equation has the form: y^2 - (sum of roots)y + (product of roots)=0. So the equation is y^2 - ((A+2)+(B+2))y+(A+2)(B+2)=0.

So insert the values of A+B and AB from the given equation into the new equation.

For equal roots, the discriminant is 0!

karnbmx

HSC
1st part:

consider roots of given quadratic as alpha, beta:
therefore, alpha + beta = ((p-4)^2)/3 (sum of roots one at a time)
also alpha*beta = (1-2p)/3 (product of roots)

NOW let the roots of quadratic we are looking for be alpha + 2, beta + 2
thus sum of roots yields alpha + beta + 4 = -b/a

BUT we know that alpha + beta = ((p-4)^2)/3

so -b/a = ((p-4)^2)/3 + 4 thus b/a = -((p-4)^2)/3 - 4 which is the second term of the quadratic

similarly look for the third term and you get your answer.

Part 2:

This part is easier. Consider the fact that because all the roots are EQUAL, the discriminant must equal to zero.

Therefore, from there: b^2 - 4ac = 0

solve from there using coefficients from the quadratic given.

karnbmx

HSC
The easiest thing here to do is to use the relationship between the roots and the coefficients.

Say the roots of the given equation are A and B. We wish to form a quadratic with roots (A+2) and (B+2). Any regular quadratic equation has the form: y^2 - (sum of roots)y + (product of roots)=0. So the equation is y^2 - ((A+2)+(B+2))y+(A+2)(B+2)=0.

So insert the values of A+B and AB from the given equation into the new equation.

For equal roots, the discriminant is 0!
DAMN you beat me to it. :mad:

HSC
;).

I was gonna latex, but I knew I'd be beaten.

HSC
Thx for both replying. Just for part b, I'm not sure if this is correct however the equation seems unsolvable therefore the given equation doesn't have equal roots ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)