What textbook should i use to really help me in Maths Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

yobdog

HSC
Hey guys, i am in year 10 currently and soon moving onto Year 11. Its a really big step even when i am doing great in Maths Advanced. I would really like to get a textbook that will explain the concepts will detail and have answers that provide proof and how its done. i heard cambridge textbooks are great and very hard and i want to also get Maths in Focus because apparently it provides a really detailed explanation to the concepts. If you know any other textbooks that has good explanation please mention them please :)))

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Just use Cambridge, its all you really need. I found Fitzpatrick and Terry Lee's Fundamental/Essential Maths good as well though if you really want other books.

v1

HSC
My personal list
extension 1
1.fitzpatrick (best)
2.cambridge
extension 2
1.Terry Lee
2.SK Patel
3.Coroneos
4.fitzpatrick (only good for complex number locus)

yobdog

HSC
Just use Cambridge, its all you really need. I found Fitzpatrick and Terry Lee's Fundamental/Essential Maths good as well though if you really want other books.
but isnt the cambridge textbook really advanced and have difficult questions on it? i am gonna buy cambridge textbook but first i want a textbook that explains the concept

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
but isnt the cambridge textbook really advanced and have difficult questions on it? i am gonna buy cambridge textbook but first i want a textbook that explains the concept
What gave you the idea: Maths in Focus gives detailed explanation whereas Cambridge does not? Cambridge has about double the contents of MiF. If you want to do well, Cambridge is better. MiF is for Maths wimps.

yobdog

HSC
What gave you the idea: Maths in Focus gives detailed explanation whereas Cambridge does not? Cambridge has about double the contents of MiF. If you want to do well, Cambridge is better. MiF is for Maths wimps.
There is a huge difference between concepts and content. just cuz the book has double the content wouldnt doesnt mean the book has better explanation of the concepts. When i say concepts i mean like the formulas and why the formula works and if possible the backstory of that formula.

Makematics

HSC
go for cambridge for sure. it is a great resource for the band 6 student. if you think you need more than that, then go for fitzy imo. at times they can have very different styles of question which is good.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
There is a huge difference between concepts and content. just cuz the book has double the content wouldnt doesnt mean the book has better explanation of the concepts. When i say concepts i mean like the formulas and why the formula works and if possible the backstory of that formula.
The concepts and formulae are all explained and/or derived. So if you are smart enough, you can follow the "explanation"; if not, Cambridge appears to be poor at explaining things and therefore hard to follow. It all depends on you.

yobdog

HSC
go for cambridge for sure. it is a great resource for the band 6 student. if you think you need more than that, then go for fitzy imo. at times they can have very different styles of question which is good.
alright thanks, but is it true that fitzy has lots of mistakes on the answers i really hate it when answers are wrong.... they make me spend hours thinking i am the one whose wrong and later i just realise i wasted my time on nothing....

Makematics

HSC
alright thanks, but is it true that fitzy has lots of mistakes on the answers i really hate it when answers are wrong.... they make me spend hours thinking i am the one whose wrong and later i just realise i wasted my time on nothing....
ummm yeh some were wrong haha... i dont use fitz anymore because our teacher wants us to use cambridge, but last yr when i used fitzy with a different teacher our class had a fb page and usually if there was a mistake we would have a concensus on the answer.

asdfghjklmz

HSC
I do not recommend buying Maths in focus, it's a waste of money because yes it's good for starting the topic but the questions are easy and if you want to excel I would recommend Cambridge, Fitzpatrick or Terry Lee
Don't buy preliminary textbooks, try and get pdf through your math teachers
Buy books for hsc though

omgiloverice

HSC
Trust me when I say this don't buy Maths in Focus, grab the pdf off your teacher or someone else. The examples and questions that MiF gives you will only be useful if you are planning to get a band E2, and it's content isn't that great either. If you want a textbook that 'explain the concepts will detail and have answers that provide proof' then I would recommend understanding maths, they explain absolutely everything with more detail than most maths textbooks and the level of difficulty in the questions will suit everyone.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Cambridge, fitzy and terry are the best. Maths in focus is good for simplistic questions but not for higher banded questions.

asdfghjklmz

HSC
You don't really need to buy textbooks in yr 11, just borrow from the school

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
Being a 3/4u student, I found that Cambridge really helps tbh
But that's probably bc I enjoy doing the obscure "extension" questions... haha

ivsu1999

HSC
N/A
i think you missed out on the might MIF ext 1 year 12 buddy. tbh it seems to be the best for me and even dBrocks uses it

frog1944

HSC
Isn't the Cambridge 3 Unit topics all around the place in terms of order of year's 11 and 12?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)